At E3 2017, Microsoft officially took the lid off of the Xbox One X. In addition to updating the system’s ‘Project Scorpio‘ nomenclature, the company also announced a release date and special edition variant of the new console. The moment I saw the special edition, I knew I had to have it. Not only for myself, but also for a planned Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition unboxing. So as soon as pre-orders went live in August, I placed one on Amazon.
As the 7 November 2017 release date neared, I hoped that Microsoft South Africa would offer news of a local launch. Thankfully my wishful thinking was answered at rAge 2017, where Microsoft announced that the Xbox One X would release in South Africa from 22 December 2017. Alas, there was no word of whether or not the Project Scorpio Edition would make the cut. So I kept my Amazon pre-order, just in case.
Within weeks from the “worldwide” 7 November 2017 release date, I caught wind of the fact that South Africa was not getting the Project Scorpio Edition of the new console. As much as I wanted to support local retailers (I actually did pre-ordered a local console), I wanted the special edition even more (I am a self-confessed sucker for special editions). With this in mind, I continued with my plans to import the console directly from the USA.
On Friday 11 November 2017, the Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition arrived at my doorstep. I contacted Edward, and we proceeded to clear our afternoons so we could shoot an Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition unboxing for the Vamers YouTube. The rest, as they say, is history.
Above is the embed of our Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition unboxing. In short, the console is beautiful and the unique limited edition pattern it features is wonderful. It offers a subtle change from the original, one that is anything but gaudy, and allows the unit to keep its sleek look whilst offering just that little bit extra. I think Microsoft did a fantastic job, and I am glad that this is the version of the console that I was able to get my hands-on.
- Astro Bot Rescue Mission Review: Outstanding Virtual Reality Platformer - 12 October, 2018
- You Get Me Review: a thriller marred by cliched teenage melodrama - 11 October, 2018
- Microsoft’s #HowOldRobot Guesses the Age of Video Game Characters - 10 October, 2018
- Boet Fighter wants you to moer okes into submission, my bru! - 9 October, 2018
- Xbox Games with Gold October 2018: Food, Demons, Stunts and Money - 9 October, 2018
- Spider senses tingling? You might have won our Marvel’s Spider-Man [PS4] comp. - 8 October, 2018
- Overwatch headwear now available at Vamers Store - 4 October, 2018
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider Review: Lara’s Story Comes Full Circle - 26 September, 2018
- Comic Con Africa Interview with SA’s Official Lara Croft: Noelle Adams - 20 September, 2018
- The Sony PlayStation Classic channels the heyday of 3D gaming - 19 September, 2018