At E3 2017, Microsoft officially took the lid off of the Xbox One X. In addition to updating the system’s ‘Project Scorpio‘ nomenclature, the company also announced a release date and special edition variant of the new console. The moment I saw the special edition, I knew I had to have it. Not only for myself, but also for a planned Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition unboxing. So as soon as pre-orders went live in August, I placed one on Amazon.
As the 7 November 2017 release date neared, I hoped that Microsoft South Africa would offer news of a local launch. Thankfully my wishful thinking was answered at rAge 2017, where Microsoft announced that the Xbox One X would release in South Africa from 22 December 2017. Alas, there was no word of whether or not the Project Scorpio Edition would make the cut. So I kept my Amazon pre-order, just in case.
Within weeks from the “worldwide” 7 November 2017 release date, I caught wind of the fact that South Africa was not getting the Project Scorpio Edition of the new console. As much as I wanted to support local retailers (I actually did pre-ordered a local console), I wanted the special edition even more (I am a self-confessed sucker for special editions). With this in mind, I continued with my plans to import the console directly from the USA.
On Friday 11 November 2017, the Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition arrived at my doorstep. I contacted Edward, and we proceeded to clear our afternoons so we could shoot an Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition unboxing for the Vamers YouTube. The rest, as they say, is history.
Above is the embed of our Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition unboxing. In short, the console is beautiful and the unique limited edition pattern it features is wonderful. It offers a subtle change from the original, one that is anything but gaudy, and allows the unit to keep its sleek look whilst offering just that little bit extra. I think Microsoft did a fantastic job, and I am glad that this is the version of the console that I was able to get my hands-on.
- Xbox One X: the best and most powerful Xbox yet [Review] - 11 December, 2017
- Logitech’s UE Wonderboom is a great summer party companion [Review] - 7 December, 2017
- Win a #VamersChristmas Xbox One Hamper (valued at R12 000) - 4 December, 2017
- Win a #VamersChristmas PlayStation 4 Hamper (valued at R8500) - 4 December, 2017
- Win 1 of 3 #VamersChristmas Nintendo Hampers (each valued at R2500) - 4 December, 2017
- Win R30 000 in prizes with #VamersChristmas 2017 - 4 December, 2017
- How Xbox One X Compares to Xbox consoles from 2001 through to 2016 - 30 November, 2017
- Microsoft’s Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition Unboxing (South Africa) - 30 November, 2017
- Win With Vamers: Digital Copy of Call of Duty: World War II for PlayStation 4 - 21 November, 2017
- Xbox Black Friday Digital Game Sale Now On + 20 Must Have Games - 20 November, 2017