At E3 2017, Microsoft officially took the lid off of the Xbox One X. In addition to updating the system’s ‘Project Scorpio‘ nomenclature, the company also announced a release date and special edition variant of the new console. The moment I saw the special edition, I knew I had to have it. Not only for myself, but also for a planned Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition unboxing. So as soon as pre-orders went live in August, I placed one on Amazon.
As the 7 November 2017 release date neared, I hoped that Microsoft South Africa would offer news of a local launch. Thankfully my wishful thinking was answered at rAge 2017, where Microsoft announced that the Xbox One X would release in South Africa from 22 December 2017. Alas, there was no word of whether or not the Project Scorpio Edition would make the cut. So I kept my Amazon pre-order, just in case.
Within weeks from the “worldwide” 7 November 2017 release date, I caught wind of the fact that South Africa was not getting the Project Scorpio Edition of the new console. As much as I wanted to support local retailers (I actually did pre-ordered a local console), I wanted the special edition even more (I am a self-confessed sucker for special editions). With this in mind, I continued with my plans to import the console directly from the USA.
On Friday 11 November 2017, the Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition arrived at my doorstep. I contacted Edward, and we proceeded to clear our afternoons so we could shoot an Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition unboxing for the Vamers YouTube. The rest, as they say, is history.
Above is the embed of our Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition unboxing. In short, the console is beautiful and the unique limited edition pattern it features is wonderful. It offers a subtle change from the original, one that is anything but gaudy, and allows the unit to keep its sleek look whilst offering just that little bit extra. I think Microsoft did a fantastic job, and I am glad that this is the version of the console that I was able to get my hands-on.
- South Africa to host first Comic Con Africa event in 2018 - 20 February, 2018
- Nintendo confirms Animated Super Mario Bros. Movie is in the works - 15 February, 2018
- Black Panther Post-Credits scenes? Yes, there are two of them. - 15 February, 2018
- First Incredibles 2 trailer showcases how parents are the real superheroes - 15 February, 2018
- Win with Vamers: Watch us Live and win a copy of PUBG for Xbox One - 13 February, 2018
- Get Far Cry 4 for Free with 1 year of PlayStation Plus (only new sign-ups) - 1 February, 2018
- TV Series Floor Plans give insight into the lives of your favourite characters - 1 February, 2018
- South African Esports Store launches with DXRacer - 30 January, 2018
- Sea of Thieves Closed Beta: finding treasure, getting drunk & being jolly - 29 January, 2018
- Stay dry to stay alive in The Rain; a new post-apocalyptic series from Netflix - 29 January, 2018