With Lara Croft’s last adventure fast approaching, fans are wondering which platforms to buy the game on, or what version to get. To make it easier, Square Enix has revealed the different Shadow of the Tomb Raider editions that fans can choose from, when it releases.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider will ultimately be Lara’s “most defining moment as she becomes the Tomb Raider”. In order to do so, Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal and publisher Square Enix, think that Lara needs a few limited time pre-order incentives.
First off, the limited time pre-order bonuses will, in no way, affect the game in major ways. Square Enix wants every player, whether they pre-ordered the title or not, to have the same experience. As such, all exclusives seem to be auxiliary. That is, if you do not count the following three little bonuses:
- 48 Hour Early Access – Players who pre-order any version besides the standard edition (Digital Deluxe, Croft, or Ultimate Edition) will get access to the game two days earlier than everyone else.
- Physical Standard Edition pre-orders will automatically be upgraded to the Limited Steelbook Edition at most retailers, which include three art cards.
- Skill Booster Pack – A digital skill booster pack is also included for anyone who pre-orders any digital edition of the game. This includes all editions, such as the Standard, Digital Deluxe, Croft, or Ultimate Edition. The Skill Booster Pack unlocks a single skill from each of the three skill paths.
On top of all of that, depending on where you buy the game from, you will get a little added bonus. Internationally, purchasing any of these Shadow of the Tomb Raider editions will net unique bonuses.
- Amazon: Prima Digital Mini Guide
- Best Buy: $10 USD Reward Card
- GameStop: Tomb Raider Flashlight
Online however, there are a few more choices.
- Microsoft Store: Xbox Live Avatar Outfit
- PlayStation Store: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Exclusive Dynamic Theme
- Steam: Exclusive Steam Wallpaper
Now, with all of the pre-order incentives out of the way, we can list off the various Shadow of the Tomb Raider editions that can be bought.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider – Standard Edition
The Standard Edition is just that: the base game with barebones bonuses. It is the safest option to pick if you do not want to splurge on unnecessary incentives. It also includes three art cards and the Steelbook packaging when pre-ordering from most retailers.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider – Digital Deluxe Edition
The Digital Deluxe Edition is just a meatier version of the Standard Edition. As you might expect, it comes with the game as well as an additional weapon and outfit. The Digital Deluxe Edition also includes the game’s soundtrack. This edition of the game has different pricing on just about every platform.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider – Croft Edition
The Shadow of the Tomb Raider Croft Edition is pretty much the Standard Edition and the Season Pass rolled into one. It comes with the game, the season pass, three additional weapons and outfits, the soundtrack, and a steelbook case. Unfortunately, suppliers have confirmed that South Africa is not getting the Ultimate Edition, which makes this the most robust package to get in our locale.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider – Ultimate Edition
The Ultimate Edition is where it is at for any hardcore collector or lover of the franchise. It is, quite literally, the ‘ultimate’ package when compared to all of the Shadow of the Tomb Raider editions. The Ultimate Edition includes everything in the Croft Edition, plus a Tomb Raider pick bottle opener, a Tomb Raider flashlight, and a Lara Croft statue depicting the young Tomb Raider in action.
The Ultimate Edition is meaty and definitely super cool. Unfortunately, we were told that the Ultimate Edition is not coming to South Africa retail stores at all, and that it can only be bought (by going on a waiting list) from the Square Enix Store.
What edition of the game will you be getting? Personally, I am against pre-ordering titles. As such, I will wait until after launch to buy myself a copy.