It feels like just yesterday that Telkom’s esports platform, VS Gaming, hit local markets with a storm of sponsorships and partnerships. Th good news is how the company has once again set its sights on Africa’s largest comic convention, as VS Gaming partners with Comic-Con Africa 2019.
Since its African launch, Comic-Con has grown from a convention about the love of comics, to so much more. Today, Comic-Con, and by extension Comic Con Africa, encompasses movies, television, on-demand media, gaming, YouTube, comics, and even esports. The latter most topic becoming a key point for ReedPOP and Reed Exhibitions Africa, who have officially announced how the Telkom VS Gaming League will be at the second-ever official Comic-Con Africa. This time with the inclusion of two Masters tournaments.
Gaming is a “massive focus” for Reed, according to Carol Weaving, Managing Director for Reed Exhibitions. 2018 saw huge success with the combination of pop culture and esports. The result effectively opened “esports up to an even wider audience” – particularly for people who attend Comic Con Africa. Considering the huge shift to competitive gaming, it makes sense that ReedPOP would like to put a focus on it.
The two Masters tournaments will include Defense of the Ancients 2 (DOTA 2) and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO). Both tournaments will “feature some of the best players in the local scene”, with the aim of “drawing crowds” of esports enthusiasts from across South Africa. It is still unknown how many teams will be competing in Comic Con Africa 2019, but the VS Gaming and Comic Con Africa partnership bought sixteen professional teams together in 2018.
Another detail that remains unknown is the prize pool. However, VS Gaming states that these two Masters tournaments will offer “one of the largest prize pools” South Africa has seen to date. Here is hoping it might be sized like the Fortnite Solo Tournament!
The competitive scene may be challenging to get into. For the more casual gamers among us, Reed Exhibitions Africa and ReedPOP will still be offering “free play zones” throughout the convention, where smaller, more accessible competitions will be held. Reed says these will include Overwatch, League of Legends, Apex Legends, Assetto Corsa, among others.
The VS Gaming and Comic Con Africa 2019 esports masters will run throughout the long weekend, from 21 to 24 September 2019 at the Gallagher Convention Centre in Midrand, Johannesburg.
- Grid Review – Glorious Rubber Burning Arcade Racer - 17 October, 2019
- Ultimate Ears Boom 3 and Megaboom 3 Review – Portable Speaker Kings - 16 October, 2019
- Frostpunk: Console Edition Review – Beautiful survival city builder - 10 October, 2019
- Ghost Recon Breakpoint Review – Fantastic Survivalist RPG - 4 October, 2019
- Nintendo Switch Lite Review – Crown Prince of Portable Gaming! - 3 October, 2019
- NBA 2K20 Review – Exudes potential, but misses the mark - 1 October, 2019
- Sony Alpha 7R IV Full Frame Mirrorless Camera Launched - 30 September, 2019
- FIFA 20 Review – Volta Football introduces a bright future - 27 September, 2019
- Catch the Republic of Gamers Invitational finals at Vodacom rAge 2019 - 26 September, 2019
- Play on Easy Mode? These games make fun of you if you do! - 26 September, 2019