Without comics, many of the popular superhero films and entertainment media that we enjoy today would not exist. Thus it is important to acknowledge the talented artists who help bring these characters to life from an idea into a printed reality. Although much fan fare has been made about Jason Momoa, Rick Worthy and Kevin Sussmen attending Comic Con Africa 2018, it is the comic book artists that are the real stars of the show. Hence why I am happy too report that Jenny Frison – an incredibly talented comic book cover artist – will also be attending Africa’s first Comic Con.
Jenny Frison is best known for her incredible cover art for the popular DC heroine and queen of the amazons, Wonder Woman. However, she has also created covers for X-Men Red, Black Panther, Loki, Vampirella, Red Sonja, Clean Room, Revival, I Vampire, Angel, Spike, True Blood, Xena and much more. In 2013 and 2015 she was nominated for “Best Cover Artist” in the Harvey Awards.
Frison’s interest in comic books began with a Wonder Woman storybook she enjoyed as a young girl. This gave her the encouragements to attend Northern Illinois University where she majored in illustration. Thereafter, she went on to attend the prestigious Kubert School of Art. During her schooling, however, she decided she wanted to focus on cover art and quit before her third year to teach herself. Although it was a gamble at the time, fate had something else in store for her. She met writer Tim Seeley shortly after going solo, who asked her to draw a cover for Hack/Slash after he looked at her website. The two became friends, and they now share a work space at Four Star Studios in Chicago, Illinois. The rest, as they say, is history.
Jenny Frison joins an ensemble of comic book artists that are set to wow attendees at the first edition of Comic Con Africa. With that in mind, the Comic Con Africa 2018 experience will also include an Artist Alley – a space for independent artists who are producing original artwork in the form of comics, prints, posters and self-published novels, and books.
Although ticket pricing has been announced, pricing on extras like ‘panel discussions’ and ‘meet and greets’ have not yet been revealed. Given the popularity of the stars that have been announced, I would presume that there is a good chance that ‘meet and greet packages’ for these actors and artists will be made available in due course. When that happens, you can bet that Vamers will report on it.
Taking place on the weekend of the 14 – 16 September 2018 at the Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit and International Convention Centre (KGPCICC), Comic Con Africa promises to showcase all aspects of the geekosphere including, but not limited to: comic books, science fiction and fantasy related films, television series, a large range of pop culture and entertainment elements in animation, toys, gadgets, clothing, anime, manga, collectible card games, video games, webcomics, fantasy novels and so much more. It will even have an ‘Artists’ Alley’ where “comic artists can sign autographs and sell or do free sketches”. Basically, it will have everything that makes the international versions of this exposition so popular.
- Exclusive Hitman 2 interview with IO Interactive’s Theuns Smit - 17 September, 2018
- Unboxing Marvel’s Spider-Man Collector’s Edition & Press Kit - 10 September, 2018
- Win With Vamers a copy of Marvel’s Spider-Man [PS4] & other goodies - 9 September, 2018
- Samsung Portable SSD T5 Review – Small, slick, sturdy & incredibly fast! - 6 September, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Photo Mode lets you create your own comic covers - 4 September, 2018
- Mayan inspired Custom Shadow of the Tomb Raider Xbox One X is Gorgeous - 4 September, 2018
- Xbox Games with Gold September 2018: Prison Architect, Livelock and more - 3 September, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Villains and Friends appear in Relationships Trailer - 30 August, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Limited Edition PS4 console has our senses tingling - 28 August, 2018
- Unboxing the 500 Million Limited Edition PlayStation 4 Pro [photos + video] - 27 August, 2018