It is no longer a secret that the first Comic Con Africa is going to be hosted in Johannesburg this September. Geeks continent wide are going to be in for a real treat with dedicated comic/movie/tv panels, celebrity meet and greets, out of this world cosplay, Africa’s largest LAN and much more. Although there is a lot to be excited for, it is the Comic Con Africa Artist Alley that should really be piquing your interest.
For all intent and purpose, Comic Con Africa is a lifestyle exposition. As such, it will feature a variety of authentic and popular merchandise from a myriad of international brands. However, it will also provide an opportunity for local artists and creators to showcase their unique works and products. To me, this is far more appealing. I, for one, would much rather obtain a truly ‘one-of-a-kind’ piece of limited edition art versus a generic mass produced print.
The good news is that applications are now open for the Comic Con Africa Artist Alley. So if you have any self-made artworks in the form of comics, prints, cards, posters or other printed paper-based media; or have self-written and self-published novels or writings in book or comic form that you want to sell; or perhaps you have handmade and designed jewellery, apparel or homewares ready to go; then now is your chance to expose your talents to the world.
Applying for a space in the Comic Con Africa Artist Alley is subject to the submission of a portfolio and, if accepted, will cost R2500 (excluding VAT) for a table in the alley. All applications will be vetted by the Artist Alley curators and will be processed on a first-come-first-served basis. So it is best to get your applications in a soon as possible.
In terms of applications, there are several important time frames and dates to take note of.
- All applications will close approximately 10 weeks before the event starts or when space has been booked out.
- Successful applicants will be notified approximately 8 weeks before the start of the event.
- Payment is due 2 weeks after receiving a positive application.
- Phase 1 Application Deadline: 23 March 2018.
- Phase 1 Notifications: 30 March 2018.
- Phase 2 Application Deadline: 27 April 2018.
- Phase 2 Notifications: 4 May 2018.
- Phase 3 Application Deadline: 31 May 2018.
- Phase 3 Notifications: 8 June 2018.
- Final Phase Application Deadline: 29 June 2018.
- Final Phase Notifications: 6 July 2018.
If participating in the Comic Con Africa Artist Alley seems like a good fit for you, then make sure to visit the official applications page here.
- Fornite Monopoly is one of the best versions of the famous game - 18 December, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Death Stranding Steelbook - 27 November, 2019
- Overwatch Legendary Edition Nintendo Switch Review – Nerf This! - 18 November, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Pokémon Sword and Shield Hamper - 15 November, 2019
- Pokémon Cosmic Eclipse Elite Trainer Box Review – Colourful Addition - 11 November, 2019
- Win With Vamers: Tickets to Playtopia MGA 2019 - 8 November, 2019
- AirPods Pro South Africa – Launching 25 Nov, pre-orders open - 7 November, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Fortnite Battle Royale Collection Figurines - 6 November, 2019
- His Dark Materials is a binge worthy adaptation of the books - 5 November, 2019
- Bethesda doesn’t register Fallout First domain, angry fan snaps it up - 24 October, 2019