Voltron is back, and it is looking more action packed than ever.
Netflix and DreamWorks Animation are bringing Voltron back to the small screen as a reimagining of the original 1980s television series, Lion Force Voltron. Now named Voltron: Legendary Defender, the series will revolve around five unsuspecting teenagers who gets transported from Earth into the middle of a sprawling intergalactic war. Here, these kids will become pilots for five robotic lions which can combine together to form the warrior robot, Voltron, but only if they can overcome and tap into the true power of teamwork.
It has been revealed that creative duo Joaquim Dos Santos and Lauren Montgomery, known for their excellent work on The Legend of Korra, are working together as executive producers on Voltron: Legendary Defender. At a panel at Wondercon earlier this year, it was announced that the series will be penned by Tim Hedrick, head writer for Avatar: The Last Airbender and co-writer for The Legend of Korra; as well as feature the voice talent of Jeremy Shada (Batman: The Brave and the Bold), Steven Yeun (Crysis, The Walking Dead), Bex-Taylor Klaus (Arrow, Scream TV series), Josh Keaton (Green Lantern: The Animated Series), and Tyler Labine (Deadbeat) as the five young teenagers.
The series has been updated and made to look a lot more modern than the original 80s version, and will feature what looks like cell-shaded 3D renders for the robots alongside traditional cartoon-like animation for the characters and backgrounds. At the panel, Dos Santos mentioned that the series will be action packed, but they are also looking at adding a lot of comedy in order to keep it lighthearted and fun. If Voltron: Legendary Defender is only half as good as Avatar: The Last Airbender or The Legend of Korra, then we will all be in for a real treat.
The series is set to launch with an hour-long origin story titled “The Rise of Voltron”, and will be accompanied by a further ten episodes, each of which are expected to be around 22-minutes long. Voltron: Legendary Defender is set to premier on the 10th of June 2016 exclusively on Netflix.
- Cosplayer Leon Chiro will be at Comic Con Africa 2019 - 16 September, 2019
- Apple TV+ South Africa: Yes, it’s coming! - 12 September, 2019
- Borderlands 3 Unlock – when can you play? - 12 September, 2019
- Greedfall Review: Surpassing Expectations - 10 September, 2019
- WRC 8 Review: Not the Kingslayer fans have been waiting for - 5 September, 2019
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Game of the Year Edition is finally here! - 4 September, 2019
- Acer Swift 5 is the “world’s lightest 14-inch notebook” - 4 September, 2019
- Acer’s Planet9 Esports platform wants to coach gamers into pros - 4 September, 2019
- Los Espookys Season 1 Review: Absurd Comedic Excellence - 2 September, 2019
- Telkom VS Gaming partners with Comic Con Africa 2019 - 30 August, 2019