The above picture is a legitimate screen capture from the 2007 post-apocalyptic blockbuster, I Am Legend. Notice anything interesting about it?
The image shows a desolate Times Square in New York City with a large billboard harbouring a movie poster with Superman’s crest superimposed over Batman’s logo. Considering the recent announcement of a Superman and Batman Movie from Warner Brothers and DC Comics, one is left to wonder if the movie had been planned all along?
According to a variety of online sources, The Dark Knight was meant to battle The Last Son of Krypton in ‘Superman VS Batman’, a movie that was scheduled by Warner Brothers for a US summer release in 2004 – over a decade ago. However, the movie was canned before filming began because the studio decided to focus on individual story lines for each superhero, a la Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight trilogy and Bryan Singer’s Superman Returns, rather than a collaborative superhero film, such as Marvel’s The Avengers.
Interestingly, the original writer for ‘Superman VS Batman’ was Akiva Goldsman, the same man who penned the script for I Am Legend and also for Batman & Robin. In a 2009 interview with MTV, Goldman confessed that the Superman and Batman Movie billboard in I Am Legend was meant as an ‘inside joke’ for the cancelled superhero project and nothing more.
Thanks to Gary Meyer for bringing to our attention the image that inspired this post.
- Fornite Monopoly is one of the best versions of the famous game - 18 December, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Death Stranding Steelbook - 27 November, 2019
- Overwatch Legendary Edition Nintendo Switch Review – Nerf This! - 18 November, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Pokémon Sword and Shield Hamper - 15 November, 2019
- Pokémon Cosmic Eclipse Elite Trainer Box Review – Colourful Addition - 11 November, 2019
- Win With Vamers: Tickets to Playtopia MGA 2019 - 8 November, 2019
- AirPods Pro South Africa – Launching 25 Nov, pre-orders open - 7 November, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Fortnite Battle Royale Collection Figurines - 6 November, 2019
- His Dark Materials is a binge worthy adaptation of the books - 5 November, 2019
- Bethesda doesn’t register Fallout First domain, angry fan snaps it up - 24 October, 2019