Micro-transactions, downloadable content and subscriptions are terms synonymous with video games. However, there is a new trend where hardware manufacturers are beginning to lock features behind software to further spearhead these ideas. Hans and Edward discuss why this new business practice is a cause for concern and why all consumers should fight against it before it is too late.
Some useful timestamps:
[Links not showing? Please visit: https://getlpodcast.com]
- 00:00 – Intro – Welcome to Episode 93!
- 02:15 – Understanding MTX & DLC
- 04:30 – Historical first experiences
- 09:00 – Late stage capitalism
- 14:00 – Tangible Subscriptions
- 16:30.- BMW’s subscription faux pas
- 21:00 – Some trends should not be followed
- 26:00 – Past predicts future
- 29:00 – Dangerous precedents
- 34:30 – Outro – Thanks for listening!
If you enjoyed, please give us a good rating.
GETL (Get-All) is a podcast about Gaming, Entertainment, Technology & Geek Lifestyle. Hosted by long term geek industry pundits Hans Haupt and Edward Swardt from Vamers.com, this podcast hopes to engage, awe, inspire and educate. Listen today on all major podcast providers and YouTube.