The upcoming 2013 reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise is one of my most anticipated games of the dawning new year. I have been an avid fan of the lovely Miss Croft ever since she adorned the Sega Saturn in her first ever adventure to Atlantis in 1994. My love affair with this bodacious explorer has continued since that time, with each new adventure invigorating my interest in Miss Croft’s unusually complicated yet illustrious life.
At the turn of the century the Tomb Raider franchise suffered a few odd and unfortunate disappointments. The fifth game in the franchise, Angel of Darkness, is by far the worst Tomb Raider video game to be published and, although I enjoyed each one immensely, the Angelina Jolie driven Tomb Raider movies were less than satisfactory game-to-movie adaptations. However, all was not lost.
Production of the Tomb Raider video game series moved to Crystal Dynamics in 2004, which lead to a fantastic new trilogy for the franchise – a trilogy that breathed new life into a fading, yet immensely popular, female video game mascot and heroine. Crystal Dynamics is, thankfully, once again behind the new Tomb Raider reboot and they appear to be pulling out all of the stops for Lara Croft’s third rebirth.
When Tomb Raider (2013) hits store shelves on the 5th March next year, it will be available in three different versions: standard, survival and a collectors edition.
The Survival Edition of the game (pictured above) will retail for £54.99 (R800) and includes the following:
- Art Book: A 32-page mini art book compiled by Tomb Raider Art Director Brian Horton, depicting Lara’s epic adventure through original concept art.
- 15” (38cm) x 19” (48cm) Double Sided Island Map and Poster: Discover key landmarks from the mysterious island of Yamati, where Lara Croft and her fellow castaways were marooned after the Endurance shipwreck. On the reverse is a poster size image of the box art that epitomises Lara’s origin story.
- 4″ (10cm) x 6″ (15cm) Waterproof Survival Pouch: A waterproof resealable adventure pouch for storing key items you will need to protect when fighting off scavengers on the island.
- CD Soundtrack: Tomb Raider Original Soundtrack ‘Survivalist cut’ that includes a collection of 10 tracks totaling over 60 minutes of music from the game.
- Downloadable Content: Weapons Pack – A selection of weapons to help Lara survive against the island’s inhabitants.
- Endurance Survival Kit Packaging: A survival tin salvaged from the ill-fated Endurance. The tin houses a copy of the game and the Lara Croft Play Arts Kai figure.
- Play Arts Kai Lara Croft Figurine: Fully posable figurine with over 40 points of articulation. The dirt on her body and clothes has been realistically recreated to tell the tale of Lara’s fierce fight for survival on a desolate island. Comes with alternate set of three (3) hands, bow and arrow, shotgun, handgun, and climbing axe. Figure Size: Approx 8.0” (20cm) Tall.
- Fornite Monopoly is one of the best versions of the famous game - 18 December, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Death Stranding Steelbook - 27 November, 2019
- Overwatch Legendary Edition Nintendo Switch Review – Nerf This! - 18 November, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Pokémon Sword and Shield Hamper - 15 November, 2019
- Pokémon Cosmic Eclipse Elite Trainer Box Review – Colourful Addition - 11 November, 2019
- Win With Vamers: Tickets to Playtopia MGA 2019 - 8 November, 2019
- AirPods Pro South Africa – Launching 25 Nov, pre-orders open - 7 November, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Fortnite Battle Royale Collection Figurines - 6 November, 2019
- His Dark Materials is a binge worthy adaptation of the books - 5 November, 2019
- Bethesda doesn’t register Fallout First domain, angry fan snaps it up - 24 October, 2019