It is happening! Another Metro game is coming! 4A Games, the developers of Metro 2033 announced Metro: Exodus (2018) at the Microsoft E3 2017 press conference. Truth be told, the video looks just like Metro: Last Light, except with amazing new textures, and models. It also helps that the video was rendered in-engine, on Microsoft’s new Xbox One X.
Deep Silver, publishers for 4A Games, describes the game as “an epic story-driven first person shooter” that “blends deadly combat and stealth with exploration and survival horror in one of the most immersive game world ever created”.
The E3 2017 trailer reveal shows off a ravaged underground setting, which is what the denizens of the underground have dubbed as Metro. Here, we see makeshift weapons and massive creatures. The protagonist breaks out of what looks like a bunker and sets foot upon a beautiful open world. It is hard to say when the game takes place compared to the others, but here, the protagonist removes his gas mask as he reaches the higher ground. Could the deadly radiation from before have vanished? Regardless of what the open world has to offer, we see the protagonist use his binoculars to map out his destination.
The video also showcases a bit of the combat and creatures that one can expect from the game. Just like Metro 2033, and Metro: Last Light, the brand new Metro: Exodus features deadly combat, which is needed given that every creature is out to kill you. Judging by the gameplay trailer along, it truly looks amazing!
According to 4A Games’ Creative Director, Andriy Prokhorov, Metro: Exodus has been in development for three years. Three years! Prokhorov states that this is the studio’s most ambitious project yet. With that said, the game will once again feature Artyom; the protagonist from the previous games.
This time, and following on from the previous games, Artyom is now a well respected Ranger who must “lead a band of Spartan Rangers on an incredible, continent-spanning journey across post-apocalyptic Russia in search of a new life in the East”. I mean, that does not explain how Artyom can breathe above ground, but hey – I will take it!
4A Games also mentioned that the world in Metro: Exodus is a “vast, non-linear” experience. The story will span an entire year, from spring, summer, autumn, and nucleur winter. They claim that Metro: Exodus is one of the “most immersive worlds” they have ever created.
Other key features include:
- An incredible journey – embark on the Aurora, a heavily modified steam locomotive along with other survivors
- Sandbox Survival – a gripping story linked together with classuc Metro gameplay and huge new levels
- A Beautiful and Hostile world – discover post apocalyptic Russian wilderness, brought to life with stunning day/night cycles and dynamic weather
- Deadly Combat and Stealth – scavenge and craft in the fiekd to customise your arsenal of hand-made weaponry and engage in thrilling combat
- Fateful Choices – not all comoanions will survive the journey; your decisions have consequence in a gripping storyline that offers massive re-playability
- Ultimate Atmosphere & Immersion – a fluckering candke in the sarkness; a ragged gasp as your gasmask frists over; the howl of a mutant on the night wind – Metro will immerse and terrify you like no othe game
Metro: Exodus will release sometime in 2018 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.