By now you should know that I am a huge advocate for mod support in games. I constantly applaud Bethesda Softworks’ support for mods, and I am a huge fan of total conversion mods like Enderal. To that end, imagine my delight when I heard that Liberty City is coming to Grand Theft Auto V!
The makers of the Grand Theft Auto 4 modding tool, OpenIV, have announced that they want to import the game’s city to the newest instalment in the franchise. Liberty City, which is heavily based in New York City, is a sprawling and bustling metropolis. It is also the main locale of GTA IV wherein Nico, the protagonist, acts out his every whim.
Alongside the announcement, OpenIV have promised that Liberty City will come to GTA V in all of its glory; they also stated that it would not be a total conversion mod. Instead, Liberty City will be a brand new, added locale situated across the sea.
In a small FAQ, the group stated that you must own a copy of GTA IV. This is because Liberty City as a whole cannot be distributed by anyone but Rockstar. This means that the mod might release sooner, rather than later, since not much will have to be created. As a word of warning, the creators also state that players using the mod will most likely get banned from GTA Online. So there is that.
There is no estimated time of arrival for the mod just yet.
This announcement only rekindles my hope that Skywind may release soon. Skywind is a similar mod for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Its aim is to make The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind playable in the updated engine used for Skyrim.
The big difference here is that Skywind is being built from scratch. This means that it will be another while before it releases.
- Frostpunk: Console Edition Review – Beautiful survival city builder - 10 October, 2019
- Ghost Recon Breakpoint Review – Fantastic Survivalist RPG - 4 October, 2019
- Nintendo Switch Lite Review – Crown Prince of Portable Gaming! - 3 October, 2019
- NBA 2K20 Review – Exudes potential, but misses the mark - 1 October, 2019
- Sony Alpha 7R IV Full Frame Mirrorless Camera Launched - 30 September, 2019
- FIFA 20 Review – Volta Football introduces a bright future - 27 September, 2019
- Catch the Republic of Gamers Invitational finals at Vodacom rAge 2019 - 26 September, 2019
- Play on Easy Mode? These games make fun of you if you do! - 26 September, 2019
- Five Batman Arkham settings the franchise should explore - 25 September, 2019
- Apple Arcade launch games! Here is everything you can play (so far) - 25 September, 2019