In a surprising announcement that very few people saw coming, Marvel Entertainment announced a multi-year, multi-game partnership with Square Enix. The new agreement will allow the excellent Japanese developer and publisher to produce original games based on Marvel’s extensive catalogue of superheroes. According to both Marvel and Square Enix, the first new game to come from this new relationship will be based on The Avengers.
The news of Marvel and Square Enix pairing up is very exciting, especially for fans of both Marvel’s comics and cinematic universe. It also appears as if Marvel is not pulling any punches, as the untitled Avengers based game is being co-crafted by Crystal Dynamics, the developers behind the award winning reboots of Tomb Raider, and Eidos-Montréal, the team behind the critically acclaimed Deus-Ex series. That alone is enough to whet geeky appetites everywhere – goodness knows I had a geekasm upon hearing this news.
According to both Marvel and Square Enix, The Avengers project is being designed for “gamers worldwide and will be packed with all the characters, environments, and iconic moments that have thrilled longtime fans of the franchise”. With this in mind, the new game will feature a completely original story and it will, rather interestingly, “introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come”. Details for the new game are still sparse, but Marvel and Square Enix have said that additional information about The Avengers project, and other games, will be revealed in 2018.
Jay Ong, Senior Vice President of Games & Innovation for Marvel Entertainment, has said that “By partnering with Crystal Dynamics and Eidos-Montréal, we are now working with two of the industry’s most talented and respected game development studios to bring Marvel stories to life in ways our fans have never experienced.“ His sentiments were echoed by Phil Rogers, CEO of Square Enix Americas and Europe, who said that “It’s exciting to bring together Square Enix’s award-winning development studios with Marvel’s extraordinary storytellers to establish a new entertainment powerhouse. This collaboration of passion and talent will craft epic, imaginative experiences allowing gamers to live out their Super Hero dreams like never before”. It certainly sounds incredibly promising.
In addition to announcing this new partnership, the studios also released an ominous teaser trailer – one that does nothing more than make us even more anxious and excited for what is to come.
- The Valkyrie Challenge is an All-Woman CS:GO esports event - 25 July, 2017
- HP Sprocket Puts Photo Printing in your Pocket [Review] - 20 July, 2017
- Get Your Winter eSports Fix at RUSH, the rAge of eSports - 14 July, 2017
- Attend the Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Premiere with Nu Metro VIP - 14 July, 2017
- Microsoft Introduces New Xbox Avatars, and they are better than ever - 29 June, 2017
- Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Enhanced with Original Xbox Games - 15 June, 2017
- All New Nintendo Switch Pokemon RPG is Coming - 14 June, 2017
- Xbox One X Games Confirmed to Run and Render at Native 4K Ultra HD - 13 June, 2017
- A Way Out Promises Innovative Co-Op Gameplay - 12 June, 2017
- Anthem is a Brand New Open-World Sci-Fi Shooter from BioWare - 12 June, 2017