The 9th of August is a special date in South Africa. It is a date that commemorates the strength and courage of over 50 000 women (real-life superheroes) who protested against the Apartheid era’s Urban Areas Act (commonly known as ‘pass laws’) in 1956. However, Women’s Day today serves as more than just a reminder of a peaceful and impactful protest.
Since 1994, Women’s Day has been celebrated annually in South Africa and provides an opportunity for all South Africans, irrespective of gender, to remember and honour the immeasurable role played by legitimate ‘super women’ in sustaining and nurturing South Africa’s fledgeling democracy. It is also an opportunity for South Africans to reflect on the positive gains made and the present challenges that are still faced by women in our country.
Take some time during this public holiday to celebrate and honour the ‘super women’ in your life.
- Confirmed Cross-Play Games for Xbox, PlayStation & Nintendo - 18 January, 2019
- Sony WH-1000XM3 Headphones Now Available in South Africa - 15 January, 2019
- Playlist: Into the Spider-Verse’s Kingpin – A Sinisterly Poignant Villain - 17 December, 2018
- Belkin Valet Charge Dock Review: Sophisticated Apple Watch Charger - 14 December, 2018
- Xbox Games with Gold December 2018: Never Alone in Dragon Age - 1 December, 2018
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Post-Credits scene? Yes, there is one. - 29 November, 2018
- Win With Vamers: Tickets to Playtopia 2018 - 11 November, 2018
- Xbox Games with Gold November 2018: Race the Sun to the Battlefield - 1 November, 2018
- Michelle Pfeiffer’s Catwoman Playlist – Music that will make you Purr - 22 October, 2018
- Astro Bot Rescue Mission Review: Outstanding Virtual Reality Platformer - 12 October, 2018