Summer Games Done Quick 2019 (SGDQ 2019) has come and gone with the blink of an eye. The annual speedrunning event grows in success by the year, and 2019 was no different. Summer Games Done Quick 2019 managed to rake in an astounding $3 million USD, cementing it as the most successful Summer Games Done Quick yet.
Heading into the final day of the event was quite the spectacle. As someone who always watches the event (because who does not like to see hard-as-nails games get beaten in mere hours) every year, it was natural for me to see an uptick in donations. However, the moment that the final run for the event started, it was only a matter of time for the record to break.
Chrono Trigger, one of the best role-playing games of the PlayStation 1 era, was at its 5-hour-30-minute mark when the Twitch chat for the GamesDoneQuick page initiated yet another donation train. This train sparked a seemingly unending amount of donations that lasted all the way through the twelve minute run. The 100% Chrono Trigger speedrun was at its very end as the crowd started to celebrate the historic moment. What a way to go end the 2019 event.
The final tally of donations from SGDQ 2019 totalled up to a whopping $3 003 889 USD. All of the earnings from the event are going directly to Doctors Without Borders, a non-profit organisation that provides humanitarian care and much-needed medical aid to countries who desperately need it.
To date, Games Done Quick has raised over 22.3 million USD for charity, and averages around 2000 people during every event. Summer Games Done Quick is the second annual event from Games Done Quick. Their first event, Awesome Games Done Quick (AGDQ), takes place during January every year, while Summer Games Done Quick usually takes place in June. The AGDQ 2020 is set for 5 January 2020.
- A “sound improvement plan” is next on the PUBG roadmap - 17 August, 2019
- Final Fantasy VIII Remaster tweet revives classic FF8 meme - 17 August, 2019
- New Razer Viper ambidextrous gaming mouse offers “absolute control” - 17 August, 2019
- LEGO Hidden Side adds gamification and AR to traditional block building - 16 August, 2019
- Comic Con Africa 2019 to host Business of Gaming Forum 2019 - 15 August, 2019
- Amara “The Siren” brings astral plane fighting to Borderlands 3 - 13 August, 2019
- The BFFs trailer introduces Moze, the new Borderlands 3 Gunner - 13 August, 2019
- Gears 5 ‘My Body is Ready’ achievement is a glorious nod to Reggie Fils-Aime - 13 August, 2019
- Draw Distance drops huge Vampire: The Masquerade – Coteries of New York gameplay details - 12 August, 2019
- Comic Con Africa 2019 Photo Ops are now live - 12 August, 2019