The Pokémon Trading Card Game (TCG) has been around since the late 90s. It debuted shortly after the original Pokémon games released on the Nintendo Gameboy. I have been a fan ever since, and have amassed an obscenely large collection of TCG cards over the years. That collection is going to grow even bigger now with the reveal of all new Pokémon TCG Detective Pikachu cards.
The new line of Pokémon TCG Detective Pikachu cards are based on the up-coming film starring Ryan Reynolds and Justice Smith. Unlike previous Pokémon films, the new film is live-action. Therefore all of our favourite Pokémon have been reborn through a new photorealistic lens. The results are nothing short of orgasmic to fans of the long running games.
In addition to the film’s titular character, Detective Pikachu, the all new selection of Pokémon TCG Detective Pikachu cards offer an awesome first look at many of the Pokémon that will feature in the movie. The photorealistic imagery used on the cards, of the unforgettable pocket monsters, has also been pulled directly from the film. Thereby preserving all of the gorgeous computer generated imagery (CGI) that has been produced by Industrial Light & Magic.
Never before have Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Psyduck, Mr. Mime, Machamp, and Jigglypuff, among others, ever looked so gorgeously photorealistic. From the fur on Pikachu and the feather down on Psyduck, through to Bulbasaur’s plant based capillaries and Machamp’s Mr. World physique; it is evident that they have all been brought to ‘life’ with care and adoration for both the Pokémon franchise as a whole, and especially for long time fans.
In keeping with modern changes made to the Pokémon TCG, there are also a series of unique and special edition GX cards that will be exclusive to the Pokémon TCG Detective Pikachu card set. These include the stealthy Greninja, the ever popular and awesome Charizard, and my absolute personal favourite: Mew Two!
Although the GX cards will be available to find randomly in booster packs, they will also be available for purchase trough specialised ‘Case File’ packs. Each case file will be focussed on one particular Pokémon and will include goodies based on that Pokémon. That includes a unique GX card, an oversized card, a wearable pin, five Detective Pikachu booster packs, two additional Pokémon TCG packs, and a card code for the online version of the game.
I will be the first to admit that these Pokémon TCG Detective Pikachu cards look fantastic. The near realistic depictions of each Pokémon works surprisingly well on the cards. I certainly hope The Pokémon Company will continue on this trend of ‘realism’ for the future of the franchise. Goodness knows I am already lusting for these cards, which are only due to arrive in April 2019.
- Anthony Mackie confirmed for Comic Con Africa 2019 - 18 July, 2019
- Cyberpunk 2077 editions detailed – which is best for you? - 12 June, 2019
- Claire’s Sanctuary wants you to save the dinos in Jurassic World Evolution - 3 June, 2019
- Avengers: Endgame Hot Toys collectible figures are lustworthy! - 22 May, 2019
- Watch Detective Pikachu online for free, thanks to Ryan Reynolds - 8 May, 2019
- Pair PS4/Xbox One Controllers to iPhone/iPad? NO! DOES NOT WORK! - 29 April, 2019
- Avengers: Endgame Review – Whatever it takes [Spoiler Free] - 28 April, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Fokof Lager VS Mortal Kombat 11 - 16 April, 2019
- Fokof Lager partners with NetherRealm for Limited Edition Mortal Kombat 11 Beer - 12 April, 2019
- Fortnite Battle Royale Collection Figurines Officially Launched - 11 April, 2019