The Dark Pictures is an all new anthology series from Supermassive Games. Man of Medan is the first entry in the new series. It is a tale of four young Americans who embark upon a diving trip where they find a rumoured World War II shipwreck. This ship is at the heart of an all new developer diary about the game. The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan’s Ghost Ship dev diary offers an intense look at how these young people will soon run into more than they bargained for. Especially after a storm transforms their voyage into something far more sinister.
The video itself is pretty straightforward. It alludes to how the studio has had a pretty challenging time sourcing decent inspiration for the game’s 60-year-old ship. As a workaround, production designer Lee Robinson says that the team instead researched how ships rust and decay. They then exaggerated those features to create a rundown setting for Mad of Medan.
Along with Robinson, audio director Barney Pratt and Art Director Robert Craig also talk about how they brought Man of Medan’s Ghost Ship to life using a model based on architectural drawing. They then packed it with proper camera angles, lighting and atmospherics to create the tension, suspense, and claustrophobic environment that the “game demanded”.
In order to create the sounds for the game, the dev team had to get a first-hand experience with those sounds in real life. This means that the team needed access to a military vessel similar to the one they were creating. They then used the reference vessel as the basis for the recordings they took. Pratt explains that they recorded door latches, mechanisms, and even direct interactions with the environment, only to name a few.
The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan is set to release someone in 2019 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows.
- Mad Catz turns 30, announces Limited Edition R.A.T. 8+ 1000 Gaming Mouse - 23 August, 2019
- Project Blue Book explores real life case files of the “most mysterious time in US History” - 23 August, 2019
- The Hunt Borderlands 3 trailer puts FL4K “The BeastMaster” to work - 20 August, 2019
- Sony’s Fall 2019 DualShock 4 controllers evoke geeky nostalgia - 20 August, 2019
- A “sound improvement plan” is next on the PUBG roadmap - 17 August, 2019
- Final Fantasy VIII Remaster tweet revives classic FF8 meme - 17 August, 2019
- New Razer Viper ambidextrous gaming mouse offers “absolute control” - 17 August, 2019
- LEGO Hidden Side adds gamification and AR to traditional block building - 16 August, 2019
- Comic Con Africa 2019 to host Business of Gaming Forum 2019 - 15 August, 2019
- Amara “The Siren” brings astral plane fighting to Borderlands 3 - 13 August, 2019