One of the most interesting and unique titles announced for the Nintendo Switch is the Ubisoft and Nintendo mashup known as Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (2017). It takes Ubisoft’s crazy Rabbids and introduces them to the world of Mario in a package that feels like a cartoon version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
The game is now available exclusively for the Nintendo Switch and will apparently take “players on an unexpected journey to save the Mushroom Kingdom, in a new turn-based combat adventure”. From the gameplay that I have seen, it certainly looks extremely interesting.
According to Tony Key, Senior Vice President of Marketing and Consumer Experience at Ubisoft, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is “a passion project from the development team and we can’t wait for players to get their hands on the game”. Judging by the embedded accolades trailer above, the game is certainly one that should be on the radar of all Nintendo Switch owners.
The game features the likes of Mario, Princess Peach, Yoshi and Luigi, who must work together with doppelgänger Rabbid heroes in order to overcome combat, puzzles and exploration across four iconic worlds.
Given the XCOM like roots, the campaign requires that players form a team of three heroes from a roster of eight characters, each with their own unique personalities and skill sets. This makes sure that battles play out differently with each team combination – allowing for varied gameplay and, presumably, great replay opportunities. It should also be noted that players will also have access to more than 250 weapons, each with unique characteristics.
Unlike most new games, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle includes local co-op challenges. This is excellent news for gamers who still enjoy old-school couch co-op sessions with friends and family. Available in two levels of difficulty, the local co-op allows players to join forces with friends to take on new challenges with a team of four heroes. Naturally, the game takes full advantage of the “play anywhere, anytime ability of the Nintendo Switch”, with battles playable on-the-go or at home.
Of course, this would not be a Nintendo game without some kind of Amiibo support. With this in mind, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle allows players to unlock new in-game features with amiibo figures. Even better, a brand new range of collectibles is being released alongside the game. I can totally see myself splurging for that Rabbids Princess Peach.
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is now available exclusively for Nintendo Switch at participating retailers.
- Cyberpunk 2077 editions detailed – which is best for you? - 12 June, 2019
- Claire’s Sanctuary wants you to save the dinos in Jurassic World Evolution - 3 June, 2019
- Avengers: Endgame Hot Toys collectible figures are lustworthy! - 22 May, 2019
- Watch Detective Pikachu online for free, thanks to Ryan Reynolds - 8 May, 2019
- Pair PS4/Xbox One Controllers to iPhone/iPad? NO! DOES NOT WORK! - 29 April, 2019
- Avengers: Endgame Review – Whatever it takes [Spoiler Free] - 28 April, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Fokof Lager VS Mortal Kombat 11 - 16 April, 2019
- Fokof Lager partners with NetherRealm for Limited Edition Mortal Kombat 11 Beer - 12 April, 2019
- Fortnite Battle Royale Collection Figurines Officially Launched - 11 April, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Hot Toys 1/4th Scale Infinity Gauntlet - 11 April, 2019