The Walking Dead franchise has seen its fair share of good and bad games. Now, yet another company is having a go at it. This time Overkill’s The Walking Dead looks a little more like the kind of game that most gamers actually want.
After a surprise announcement in August 2014, the “co-op first-person shooter” is finally in development by Overkill Software, the same developers who brought Payday to the world. Better yet, it seems like the game is pretty far into development – at least judging by the trailer.
Officially titled Overkill’s The Walking Dead, it is confirmed to be a four-player co-op game much like Left 4 Dead. Like Left 4 Dead, each of the game’s four protagonists will have their own abilities, skill trees and squad roles. They will also have their own backstories and play styles. In order to introduce the characters to fans, Overkill will release a trailer for each, starting with Aidan:
In the trailer, we see a Wall Street businessman turned gruff, lonely survivor who clearly just wants to let off some steam.
The company did not offer much in terms of information about either Aidan or the game, but the trailer may indicate Aidan’s skill at working a modified baseball bat. Perhaps his familiarity with Washington, DC. will also play a role in the game. Overkill Software has said that fans can expect a “variety of missions and raids” involving securing supplies and finding survivors. There is also a tactical aspect to the game with some stealth mechanics. Players will have to improvise since nothing is ever certain.
Either way, the trailer looks fantastic. I hope this is a glimpse of what the game will look like once it releases this fall (winter for all southerners).
Just as it was announced originally, the game will release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows. Unlike what was originally announced, however, Overkill’s The Walking Dead has a targeted release for late 2018.
- Lost Sphear mixes classic and modern RPG’s in a wonderful way [Review] - 17 May, 2018
- The Hooked on Multiplayer Bundle is all about playing with friends - 16 May, 2018
- Early Access hit, Dead Cells, to get retail editions for PS4 & Switch - 16 May, 2018
- PES 2019 Release Date announced and more about teams revealed - 16 May, 2018
- Rainbow Six: Siege Operation Para Bellum teased by Ubisoft - 15 May, 2018
- FIFA 2018 Global series heads to Russia thanks to Coke, EA & VY Esports - 15 May, 2018
- Middle-earth: Shadow of War Desolation of Mordor expansion out now - 15 May, 2018
- Blizzard’s Rise of the Raven Lord comic legitimises Heroes of the Storm - 15 May, 2018
- PES 2018 celebrates huge milestone with Data Pack 4 - 14 May, 2018
- Robot Wizard reveals plans to bring Jengo to Nintendo Switch - 14 May, 2018