In 2014, a colour called “the world’s blackest black” was developed by a United Kingdom-based Nanotech company called Surrey NanoSystems. They called the new material Vantablack. The company also explained that the material was made from densely packed carbon nanotubes that absorbs 99.96 percent of all light that hits it. Trippy!
Is was so trippy, in fact, that Vantablack looked like a flat blob of nothingness to every person who saw it in person. Now, Surrey NanoSystems is back with Vantablack 2.0 (VBX-1), which aims to go even darker.
Vantablack 2.0 is an even darker version of “the world’s blackest black” that has a total hemispherical reflectance (light reflection) of only c.0.3%! That totally blows the .04% reflectiveness of the original right out of the water. It is so dark, Artnet describes it as a colour that “eats lasers and flattens reality”.
In the video description, Surrey NanoSystems explains that Vantablack 2.0 is still in production. This means that the material used (a new non-nanotubing coating) can change dramatically before release. They also mention that, where the first iteration of the colour was a free space material hardly tolerated handling, the new solid coating offers better tolerance. This means that it might have many more applications when it eventually releases to the public.
- Apple TV Steam Link now available; Play PC games on Apple devices! - 16 May, 2019
- Sniper Elite V2 Remastered Review – The Definitive Sniper Experience - 13 May, 2019
- Overwatch Havana map is now live, includes rum! - 9 May, 2019
- Cricket 19 Demo lets you build your ultimate team right now - 9 May, 2019
- 7 reasons why you should upgrade to Sniper Elite V2 Remastered - 9 May, 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11 Review – Gorgeous, Fun and Fresh - 7 May, 2019
- Razer Core X Chroma redefines the meaning of RGB in eGPU - 6 May, 2019
- Acer Predator Helios 700 and 300 set new bar for gaming laptops - 6 May, 2019
- 10 Zombie Games To Play (instead of Days Gone) - 25 April, 2019
- Days Gone Review – A cliched and phoned-in open-world zombie game - 25 April, 2019