The spine-tinglingly regal dark fairy of Disney’s 1959 animated classic Sleeping Beauty, and one of my personal favourite villains, is the focal point of a new live-action film that shares her name, Maleficent
The film stars Academy Award® winner Angelina Jolie (Changeling, Girl Interrupted) as Maleficent, Elle Fanning (Super 8, Astro Boy) as Princess Aurora, and is directed by Oscar® winner Robert Stromberg (Life of Pi, Shutter Island).
The film retells the story of Disney’s Sleeping Beauty from the perspective of the villainous Maleficent (Jolie). As such, the film explores the events that hardened the fairy’s heart and showcases what drove her to curse young princess Aurora (Fanning).
Sleeping Beauty is one of my favourite Disney animated movies, which is why I am incredibly excited for Disney’s Maleficent. As a child, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the hilarity that ensued between fairies Fauna, Flora and Merryweather. I also remember having a crush on Aurora and pretending to be a ‘sorcerer’ like Maleficent during imaginary battles and reenactments of the movie. After all, who would not want to be able to transform into a gigantic dragon?
The official “Dream” trailer for the film is embedded below and offers a magical glimpse of the perfect casting that is Angelina Jolie as Maleficent.
Maleficent hits South African cinemas on Friday 6th June 2014.
- Fornite Monopoly is one of the best versions of the famous game - 18 December, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Death Stranding Steelbook - 27 November, 2019
- Overwatch Legendary Edition Nintendo Switch Review – Nerf This! - 18 November, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Pokémon Sword and Shield Hamper - 15 November, 2019
- Pokémon Cosmic Eclipse Elite Trainer Box Review – Colourful Addition - 11 November, 2019
- Win With Vamers: Tickets to Playtopia MGA 2019 - 8 November, 2019
- AirPods Pro South Africa – Launching 25 Nov, pre-orders open - 7 November, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Fortnite Battle Royale Collection Figurines - 6 November, 2019
- His Dark Materials is a binge worthy adaptation of the books - 5 November, 2019
- Bethesda doesn’t register Fallout First domain, angry fan snaps it up - 24 October, 2019