With over 100 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute, it comes as no surprise that social media giants Facebook and Twitter want to enter and share a part of this popular, lucrative and growing medium.
The answer for the social media giants has been short mobile video – the natural evolution of still pictures and audio. As a result, Twitter created Vine and Facebook enhanced Instagram with video.
The rise of social sharing through video has been nothing short of astounding. Twitter’s popular video sharing service, Vine, has accrued over 40 million active users in the last seven months and Facebook’s Instagram saw over 5 million videos uploaded in the first 24 hours of the video function being enabled.
The result of access to and distribution of short mobile video has seen an explosion in creative video-based user generated content. In fact, analysts have predicted that over two thirds of mobile data traffic will be video by 2017 – a 16 fold increase from 2012.
The rivalry between Twitter and Facebook, and thus Vine and Instagram respectively, is fuelled with the ambition to dominate our free time by transforming us into video publishers and editors. Each service is advantageous in its own way, but the competition is good for end users as it will only further drive innovation and improvement for both applications and services.
Below is an infographic further detailing the differences between each short mobile video platform and the projected statistics of mobile video for the near future.
- Cyberpunk 2077 editions detailed – which is best for you? - 12 June, 2019
- Claire’s Sanctuary wants you to save the dinos in Jurassic World Evolution - 3 June, 2019
- Avengers: Endgame Hot Toys collectible figures are lustworthy! - 22 May, 2019
- Watch Detective Pikachu online for free, thanks to Ryan Reynolds - 8 May, 2019
- Pair PS4/Xbox One Controllers to iPhone/iPad? NO! DOES NOT WORK! - 29 April, 2019
- Avengers: Endgame Review – Whatever it takes [Spoiler Free] - 28 April, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Fokof Lager VS Mortal Kombat 11 - 16 April, 2019
- Fokof Lager partners with NetherRealm for Limited Edition Mortal Kombat 11 Beer - 12 April, 2019
- Fortnite Battle Royale Collection Figurines Officially Launched - 11 April, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Hot Toys 1/4th Scale Infinity Gauntlet - 11 April, 2019