The 9th of August is a special date in South Africa. It is a date that commemorates the strength and courage of over 50 000 women (real-life superheroes) who protested against the Apartheid era’s Urban Areas Act (commonly known as ‘pass laws’) in 1956. However, Women’s Day today serves as more than just a reminder of a peaceful and impactful protest.
Since 1994, Women’s Day has been celebrated annually in South Africa and provides an opportunity for all South Africans, irrespective of gender, to remember and honour the immeasurable role played by legitimate ‘super women’ in sustaining and nurturing South Africa’s fledgeling democracy. It is also an opportunity for South Africans to reflect on the positive gains made and the present challenges that are still faced by women in our country.
Take some time during this public holiday to celebrate and honour the ‘super women’ in your life.
- Fornite Monopoly is one of the best versions of the famous game - 18 December, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Death Stranding Steelbook - 27 November, 2019
- Overwatch Legendary Edition Nintendo Switch Review – Nerf This! - 18 November, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Pokémon Sword and Shield Hamper - 15 November, 2019
- Pokémon Cosmic Eclipse Elite Trainer Box Review – Colourful Addition - 11 November, 2019
- Win With Vamers: Tickets to Playtopia MGA 2019 - 8 November, 2019
- AirPods Pro South Africa – Launching 25 Nov, pre-orders open - 7 November, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Fortnite Battle Royale Collection Figurines - 6 November, 2019
- His Dark Materials is a binge worthy adaptation of the books - 5 November, 2019
- Bethesda doesn’t register Fallout First domain, angry fan snaps it up - 24 October, 2019