There is no denying that Master Chief is the Xbox brand’s most recognisable mascot. From appearing on the original Xbox in 2002, through to 2015’s Halo 5: Guardians; Petty Officer John-117 is the living embodiment of everything that is Xbox. Given that he has been absent for some time, it made perfect sense for Microsoft to begin their 2018 press briefing with an all new look at the next instalment in the franchise: Halo Infinite.
As shown in a gorgeous new trailer, Halo Infinite will utilise a brand new game engine known as Slipspace. According to 343 Industries, the engine has been built specifically for the Halo franchise, and it shows. From spectacularly driven particle and grass effects, through to full bokeh and lens shifts, full screen based reflections, and photorealistic vistas that appears to go on for kilometres; it appears as if the Slipspace Engine will certainly breathe new life into the franchise. Better still, the trailer was running at a full 60 fps. So lets hope this follows through to the game’s eventual release.
According to Halo Waypoint, the studio has taken all of the criticism received around Halo 5: Guardians and will ensure that Halo Infinite will not repeat those mistakes. Most notably, 343 Industries has promised that the new game will focus more on Master Chief’s story and will continue right after the events that took place in Guardians. This is great to hear, and I certainly hope they create a game that is more Halo 4 than Halo 5 going forward.
Judging by the Halo Infinite trailer, the game is shaping up to be a visual spectacle, if nothing else. However, given the pedigree of the studio and the new Slipspace Engine, I can only imagine how groundbreaking Halo infinite will be once it sees the light of day.
- Astro Bot Rescue Mission Review: Outstanding Virtual Reality Platformer - 12 October, 2018
- You Get Me Review: a thriller marred by cliched teenage melodrama - 11 October, 2018
- Microsoft’s #HowOldRobot Guesses the Age of Video Game Characters - 10 October, 2018
- Boet Fighter wants you to moer okes into submission, my bru! - 9 October, 2018
- Xbox Games with Gold October 2018: Food, Demons, Stunts and Money - 9 October, 2018
- Spider senses tingling? You might have won our Marvel’s Spider-Man [PS4] comp. - 8 October, 2018
- Overwatch headwear now available at Vamers Store - 4 October, 2018
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider Review: Lara’s Story Comes Full Circle - 26 September, 2018
- Comic Con Africa Interview with SA’s Official Lara Croft: Noelle Adams - 20 September, 2018
- The Sony PlayStation Classic channels the heyday of 3D gaming - 19 September, 2018