You can never go wrong by banning hackers and being charitable. The developer of PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, PUBG Corp., has announced that it will donate $2 million USD to charity by the end of 2018.
It is no secret that PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is a game that brings in millions. From its crazy huge player base to its loot boxes that can be resold on Steam, and not to mention the cosmetic microtransactions within the game, I am pretty sure that the game rakes in a lot of moolah. As such, PUBG Corp. has decided to give back to the community.
The $2 million mentioned above is just a minimum, too! Some of it will come directly from the game’s 2017 Gamescom Invitational Crates, which contained exclusive cosmetic items. This follows an earlier $100 000 donation during the Twitch PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Winter Charity Invitational held in December 2017; and precedes an upcoming $300 000 donation toward the PUBG Extra Life Charity Marathon goal, which will be held from 29 January through to 2 February.
PUBG Corp. states that they will match community donations at a PUBG LAN tournament being held on 28 and 29 April. The event will run in conjunction with Gamers Outreach at Gamers of Giving 2018. That, as well as a further $1 million, will go toward other charities as part of a “campaign that will occur later this year”. It is not certain what exactly this event will entail, but I am pretty sure that it will help put the game up there, together with other great philanthropic endeavours such as Games Done Quick.
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is a battle royale game in which players drop onto an island and fight for survival while outrunning an ever-shrinking blue zone. Firefights are a given, and in the end, only one player can come out on the top. It also features two-man duo groups and four-man squads.
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is available on Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows (via Steam).
- Lost Sphear mixes classic and modern RPG’s in a wonderful way [Review] - 17 May, 2018
- The Hooked on Multiplayer Bundle is all about playing with friends - 16 May, 2018
- Early Access hit, Dead Cells, to get retail editions for PS4 & Switch - 16 May, 2018
- PES 2019 Release Date announced and more about teams revealed - 16 May, 2018
- Rainbow Six: Siege Operation Para Bellum teased by Ubisoft - 15 May, 2018
- FIFA 2018 Global series heads to Russia thanks to Coke, EA & VY Esports - 15 May, 2018
- Middle-earth: Shadow of War Desolation of Mordor expansion out now - 15 May, 2018
- Blizzard’s Rise of the Raven Lord comic legitimises Heroes of the Storm - 15 May, 2018
- PES 2018 celebrates huge milestone with Data Pack 4 - 14 May, 2018
- Robot Wizard reveals plans to bring Jengo to Nintendo Switch - 14 May, 2018