If there is one thing that Funko is good at, it is producing collectible figures that are based on both popular culture and Internet meme-dom. In celebration of the 25th anniversary of Steven Spielberg’s iconic dinosaur film, the company is releasing a brand new line of Jurassic Park Funko Pop figures that caters to both; and this time, they have outdone themselves.
The “Wounded Dr. Ian Malcolm” pop is, hands-down, the most glorious Funko Pop I have ever laid my eyes on. The pop is a stylised version of Jeff Goldblum’s injured character in the film, after his ordeal with a Tyrannosaurus rex. As such, it perfectly captures his iconic and seductive pose, with lacerated leg, perfect hair, and that unforgettable bare chest. It is, without a doubt, an almost perfect figure. All they need to do to make it iconic is add a sound chip with Goldblum’s infectious laugh for every time his head bobbles (are you listening Funko? This needs to happen!).
In addition to the
wounded sexy Dr. Ian Malcolm, the new Jurassic Park Funko Pop collection also includes a non-sexy version of the figure, along with renditions of Dr. Alan Grant, park owner John Hammond, and the traitorous and snack loving bastard that is Dennis Nedry.
Of course, what would a Jurassic Park Funko Pop collection be without dinosaurs? Naturally, the first releases in this collection include a T-Rex, Velociraptor and two versions of the Dilophosaurus (one with flaps engaged, and one without). There is even a dual pack that features a venom covered Dennis Nedry and a spitting Dilophosaurus; for those who want to commemorate his well deserved death (screaming sound effects not included).
Curiously, figures based on the gorgeous Dr. Ellie Sadler (Laura Dern), IT guru Ray Arnold (Samuel L. Jackson), and children Lex (Ariana Richards) and Tim (Joseph Mazzello); have yet to be announced. However, Funko says that they are coming soon; especially the Sadler figure.
Coming soon! VERY soon.
— Funko (@OriginalFunko) January 19, 2018
Until today, I never really thought of investing in Funko Pop figures. However, that “wounded” Ian Malcolm figure is just too good to pass up. According to Funko, these Jurassic Park Funko Pop figures will be available at most major retailers, with a few exceptions. “Wounded” Dr. Ian Malcolm is a Target exclusive in the United States, whilst the Dennis Nedry and Dilophosaurus two-pack is an Entertainment Earth exclusive.
I personally hope that Funko makes these figures global available, as well as including some other unforgettable moments, like Ray losing his arms or even a Mr. DNA (I would pay good money for this one).
- PlayStation 4 Pro 500 Million Limited Edition Celebrates Sony’s Success - 14 August, 2018
- Vikings’ Travis Fimmel confirmed for Comic Con Africa 2018 - 13 August, 2018
- 60 Parsecs! wants you to survive the apocalypse by escaping to space - 6 August, 2018
- Xbox Games with Gold August 2018: Forza, For Honor, Space and Mickey - 1 August, 2018
- Ember Ceramic Mug Review: the best coffee mug you will ever use - 30 July, 2018
- Meet The Mountain from Game of Thrones at FIBO Global Fitness Africa - 27 July, 2018
- First South African LEGO Store opens in Sandton City - 26 July, 2018
- American Gods Ricky Whittle and Yetide Badaki confirmed for Comic-Con Africa 2018 - 26 July, 2018
- Jenny Frison Comic Book Cover Artist confirmed for Comic-Con Africa 2018 - 26 July, 2018
- 8 Long Press Tips for Safari on iOS that will change the way you web surf - 11 July, 2018