The Xbox One X, Microsoft’s mid-generational video game console refresh, officially launched on 3 November 2017 in major countries around the world (excluding South Africa, which will see the console release in late December). Given the price point of the machine, US $499/ZAR R7499/UK £449, many were sceptical of how well it would sell and be received. Well, those fears have officially been squashed, as the Xbox One X UK launch saw over 80 000 consoles fly off the shelves in just a single week.
According to GamesIndustry.biz, the Xbox One X UK sales numbers were extrapolated via data provided by a variety of retailers. Interestingly, the 80 000 unit sales figure matches the performance of the Nintendo Switch when it went on sale in March, 2017; which is to say that it is rather impressive. After all, the Xbox One X is not a brand new console like the Switch. It is more of an enhanced refresh like the PlayStation 4 Pro. Speaking of, the Xbox One X UK sales data completely thrashes that of Sony’s mid-gen console, which took four whole weeks to reach the same sales figure after it launched in November, 2016.
What is rather fascinating about the Xbox One X UK sales numbers is that this region has, in the past, been a much better performer for the PlayStation brand than for Xbox. As such, this new data is quite promising for Microsoft and may hint at a brighter future for the Xbox brand, at least in Europe. Needless to say, Microsoft is very happy with the news.
Huge thanks to everyone for their support of @Xbox One X. Great initial results not just in UK, but seeing similar results across Europe. NA #s much bigger, amazing first week! https://t.co/UOStTyLqhY
— Aaron Greenberg (@aarongreenberg) November 13, 2017
Other interesting tidbits from the data obtained by GamesIndustry.biz revealed that the best-selling Xbox One game of the week was Call of Duty: WWII, followed by Assassin’s Creed Origins, FIFA 18, and Forza Motorsport 7.
I personally imported my own Xbox One X last week, and although my full review is still in the pipeline, I can confidently say that it is a machine I am glad to have purchased.
- The Sony PlayStation Classic channels the heyday of 3D gaming - 19 September, 2018
- Exclusive Hitman 2 interview with IO Interactive’s Theuns Smit - 17 September, 2018
- Unboxing Marvel’s Spider-Man Collector’s Edition & Press Kit - 10 September, 2018
- Win With Vamers a copy of Marvel’s Spider-Man [PS4] & other goodies - 9 September, 2018
- Samsung Portable SSD T5 Review – Small, slick, sturdy & incredibly fast! - 6 September, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Photo Mode lets you create your own comic covers - 4 September, 2018
- Mayan inspired Custom Shadow of the Tomb Raider Xbox One X is Gorgeous - 4 September, 2018
- Xbox Games with Gold September 2018: Prison Architect, Livelock and more - 3 September, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Villains and Friends appear in Relationships Trailer - 30 August, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Limited Edition PS4 console has our senses tingling - 28 August, 2018