The Xbox One X, Microsoft’s mid-generational video game console refresh, officially launched on 3 November 2017 in major countries around the world (excluding South Africa, which will see the console release in late December). Given the price point of the machine, US $499/ZAR R7499/UK £449, many were sceptical of how well it would sell and be received. Well, those fears have officially been squashed, as the Xbox One X UK launch saw over 80 000 consoles fly off the shelves in just a single week.
According to GamesIndustry.biz, the Xbox One X UK sales numbers were extrapolated via data provided by a variety of retailers. Interestingly, the 80 000 unit sales figure matches the performance of the Nintendo Switch when it went on sale in March, 2017; which is to say that it is rather impressive. After all, the Xbox One X is not a brand new console like the Switch. It is more of an enhanced refresh like the PlayStation 4 Pro. Speaking of, the Xbox One X UK sales data completely thrashes that of Sony’s mid-gen console, which took four whole weeks to reach the same sales figure after it launched in November, 2016.
What is rather fascinating about the Xbox One X UK sales numbers is that this region has, in the past, been a much better performer for the PlayStation brand than for Xbox. As such, this new data is quite promising for Microsoft and may hint at a brighter future for the Xbox brand, at least in Europe. Needless to say, Microsoft is very happy with the news.
Huge thanks to everyone for their support of @Xbox One X. Great initial results not just in UK, but seeing similar results across Europe. NA #s much bigger, amazing first week! https://t.co/UOStTyLqhY
— Aaron Greenberg (@aarongreenberg) November 13, 2017
Other interesting tidbits from the data obtained by GamesIndustry.biz revealed that the best-selling Xbox One game of the week was Call of Duty: WWII, followed by Assassin’s Creed Origins, FIFA 18, and Forza Motorsport 7.
I personally imported my own Xbox One X last week, and although my full review is still in the pipeline, I can confidently say that it is a machine I am glad to have purchased.
- Win with Vamers: Fokof Lager VS Mortal Kombat 11 - 16 April, 2019
- Fokof Lager partners with NetherRealm for Limited Edition Mortal Kombat 11 Beer - 12 April, 2019
- Fortnite Battle Royale Collection Figurines Officially Launched - 11 April, 2019
- Win with Vamers: Hot Toys 1/4th Scale Infinity Gauntlet - 11 April, 2019
- Four Xbox mascots, and their franchises, that need to be revived! - 3 April, 2019
- Xbox Games with Gold April 2019: Tech Outcasts on Ghostly Battlefronts - 2 April, 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11 hands-on preview: Gorgeously Gory - 1 April, 2019
- Five Mortal Kombat Characters who need to komeback for MK11 - 28 March, 2019
- Epson EcoTank L7160 – Personal photo printing powerhouse - 20 March, 2019
- Oddworld: Soulstorm GDC demo is gorgeous and tantalising - 20 March, 2019