Have you ever wondered what happened to Dorothy, and her gang of friends, after the events of the 1939 film, The Wizard of Oz? Whether you have or not, this is the premise behind a brand new animated series from Warner Brothers Animation called Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz (2017).
The all-new animated adventure follows an eight year old Dorothy who, along with her dog toto and best friends Scarecrow, Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion, has just defeated the Wicked Witch of the West and is ready to embark on exciting new quests in the land of Oz.
Following the original story of the 1939 motion picture, Queen Ozma has appointed Dorothy as the Princess of Emerald City. In this new position, Dorothy has been tasked with ridding Oz of evil and restoring peace to the land. To aid her on her quest, Dorothy is armed with a pair of magical and mysterious ruby slippers – which are activated by clicking her heels together.
Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz appears to have been created primarily for children. Hence why Dorothy is described as tackling her royal duties with “enthusiasm, bravery and farm girl feistiness” and why the show is described as an “uplifting comedic fantasy series”.
Given that Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz is a children’s show, episodes and stories will focus on Dorothy’s responsibility as Princess of Oz. As such, it will differentiate how making a mistake in Kansas is usually not a big deal; but how a mistake in Oz will see a “Wicked Witch, or two, come after you”.
Although I am now more a fan of adult animated adventures such as Rick and Morty, I must say that I recently took a liking to the all-new DuckTales (2017) animated series. Not only is it very well animated, but there is also just enough ‘dry’ and ‘adult’ humour to make it interesting without being offensive to children. Having said that, the trailer for Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz does appear to be firmly set as a child’s show, but I guess I will just have to tune in to make sure.
Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz consists of 80 episodes that are 11 minutes in length. The show will debut on Boomerang from 16 October 2017, on DSTV channel 302 from 17:50 (5:50 pm). New episodes will air daily (on weekdays) after the premiere.
- Win with Vamers: Sea of Thieves Be More Pirate Competition - 20 March, 2018
- Support Jengo the game on Fig and be a part of the adventure - 19 March, 2018
- State of Decay 2 Collector’s Edition comes with a literal Thumb Drive - 15 March, 2018
- Jurassic World Evolution stars Jeff Goldblum as Dr. Ian Malcolm - 15 March, 2018
- 25% PlayStation Plus Discount on 12 month membership [6 – 23 March 2018] - 13 March, 2018
- Darwin Project now available on Early Access & Game Preview - 12 March, 2018
- Comic Con Africa Tickets on sale from 9 March 2018 - 8 March, 2018
- Buy Pure Farming 2018 and help Support the Drought Relief Fund - 8 March, 2018
- God of War Limited Edition PlayStation 4 Pro is gloriously gaudy - 7 March, 2018
- Applications for Comic Con Africa Artist Alley (2018) are now open - 7 March, 2018