Have you ever wondered what happened to Dorothy, and her gang of friends, after the events of the 1939 film, The Wizard of Oz? Whether you have or not, this is the premise behind a brand new animated series from Warner Brothers Animation called Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz (2017).
The all-new animated adventure follows an eight year old Dorothy who, along with her dog toto and best friends Scarecrow, Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion, has just defeated the Wicked Witch of the West and is ready to embark on exciting new quests in the land of Oz.
Following the original story of the 1939 motion picture, Queen Ozma has appointed Dorothy as the Princess of Emerald City. In this new position, Dorothy has been tasked with ridding Oz of evil and restoring peace to the land. To aid her on her quest, Dorothy is armed with a pair of magical and mysterious ruby slippers – which are activated by clicking her heels together.
Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz appears to have been created primarily for children. Hence why Dorothy is described as tackling her royal duties with “enthusiasm, bravery and farm girl feistiness” and why the show is described as an “uplifting comedic fantasy series”.
Given that Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz is a children’s show, episodes and stories will focus on Dorothy’s responsibility as Princess of Oz. As such, it will differentiate how making a mistake in Kansas is usually not a big deal; but how a mistake in Oz will see a “Wicked Witch, or two, come after you”.
Although I am now more a fan of adult animated adventures such as Rick and Morty, I must say that I recently took a liking to the all-new DuckTales (2017) animated series. Not only is it very well animated, but there is also just enough ‘dry’ and ‘adult’ humour to make it interesting without being offensive to children. Having said that, the trailer for Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz does appear to be firmly set as a child’s show, but I guess I will just have to tune in to make sure.
Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz consists of 80 episodes that are 11 minutes in length. The show will debut on Boomerang from 16 October 2017, on DSTV channel 302 from 17:50 (5:50 pm). New episodes will air daily (on weekdays) after the premiere.
- GLITCHED is South Africa’s newest show about Video Games - 16 October, 2017
- Nintendo Pop-Up Store + Hands-On with Super Mario Odyssey - 15 October, 2017
- Win With Vamers ALIEN DVD & ALIEN: Isolation Game Bundle - 15 October, 2017
- Star Wars Theme Sung entirely by Porgs - 12 October, 2017
- The full-length Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer is here, & it’s mind-blowing! - 10 October, 2017
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi bookings are now live! - 10 October, 2017
- Jurassic World Evolution’s first in-game footage is Wondrous - 9 October, 2017
- Xbox One X South Africa: Arrives in December with R7499 Pre-Order Price - 6 October, 2017
- Home_Coded puts the Spotlight on Indie Developers at rAge 2017 - 3 October, 2017
- Targus and SteelSeries partner to create the Sniper Gaming Backpack - 3 October, 2017