Have you ever wondered what happened to Dorothy, and her gang of friends, after the events of the 1939 film, The Wizard of Oz? Whether you have or not, this is the premise behind a brand new animated series from Warner Brothers Animation called Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz (2017).
The all-new animated adventure follows an eight year old Dorothy who, along with her dog toto and best friends Scarecrow, Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion, has just defeated the Wicked Witch of the West and is ready to embark on exciting new quests in the land of Oz.
Following the original story of the 1939 motion picture, Queen Ozma has appointed Dorothy as the Princess of Emerald City. In this new position, Dorothy has been tasked with ridding Oz of evil and restoring peace to the land. To aid her on her quest, Dorothy is armed with a pair of magical and mysterious ruby slippers – which are activated by clicking her heels together.
Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz appears to have been created primarily for children. Hence why Dorothy is described as tackling her royal duties with “enthusiasm, bravery and farm girl feistiness” and why the show is described as an “uplifting comedic fantasy series”.
Given that Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz is a children’s show, episodes and stories will focus on Dorothy’s responsibility as Princess of Oz. As such, it will differentiate how making a mistake in Kansas is usually not a big deal; but how a mistake in Oz will see a “Wicked Witch, or two, come after you”.
Although I am now more a fan of adult animated adventures such as Rick and Morty, I must say that I recently took a liking to the all-new DuckTales (2017) animated series. Not only is it very well animated, but there is also just enough ‘dry’ and ‘adult’ humour to make it interesting without being offensive to children. Having said that, the trailer for Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz does appear to be firmly set as a child’s show, but I guess I will just have to tune in to make sure.
Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz consists of 80 episodes that are 11 minutes in length. The show will debut on Boomerang from 16 October 2017, on DSTV channel 302 from 17:50 (5:50 pm). New episodes will air daily (on weekdays) after the premiere.
- Halo Infinite teaser hints at what is to come for Master Chief - 11 June, 2018
- E3 2018 Press Conference Times and Where to Watch (South Africa) - 9 June, 2018
- Confirmed List of Jurassic World Evolution Dinosaurs – something for everyone - 7 June, 2018
- Frontier is giving away a gorgeous Jurassic World Xbox One X at E3 2018 - 7 June, 2018
- Big Bang Theory’s Kevin Sussmen confirmed for Comic-Con Africa 2018 - 7 June, 2018
- Xbox Games with Gold June 2018: Assassins, Smite, Sonic & Indy Jones - 31 May, 2018
- Is your Spirit Animal Kratos? Find out if you Won in our God of War competition - 29 May, 2018
- Hot Toys Doctor Strange (MMS484) is mystifyingly handsy - 18 May, 2018
- Hot Toys Deadpool (MMS490) collectible is a sexy unicorn lover - 15 May, 2018
- The Magicians’ Rick Worthy confirmed for Comic-Con Africa 2018 - 9 May, 2018