The Huawei P9 and P9 Plus were easily two of 2016’s best Android handsets, and the world seems to agree. Huawei Consumer Business Group announced that the company has shipped more than 10 million P9 and P9 Plus handsets globally. This is a record high for the company, making the P9 Huawei’s first device to tally more than 10 million shipments.
The Huawei P9, and it’s bigger brother the P9 Plus, were announced in April 2016. They feature a dual-lens setup featuring optics from German camera lens manufacturer, Leica. The new camera was lauded by many critics and reviewers around the globe. Digital Trends praised it especially for its amazing technology, claiming that Leica’s technology elevated the already excellent camera Huawei implemented into its predecessor, the Huawei P8.
Aside from its amazing camera, the P9 also boasts an octa-core processor, 3 (or 4-) GB of RAM, a sleek aluminium body; and 5.2” and 5.5” displays. It is a popular device! So popular, in fact, that it shipped 2.6 million handsets within their first 6 weeks on the market. Now, Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei Consumer Business Group, has announced that the phones have reached the 10-million milestone in sales. The company actually hit the mark right before the end of 2016, which makes it a Christmas Bonus for Huawei.
Thanks to Huawei’s impressive growth in recent years, the company now boasts higher than 15% market share in 30 countries, of which South Africa comes in at just around 17%. According to Techsmart, Huawei has shown a growth rate of 43% in the country.
In November, Interbrand coined Huawei as one of the Best Consumer Electronics Brands for 2016. Additionally, Interbrand also named Huawei South Africa as one of South Africa’s Top Employers going into 2017.
- Yugi Moto from Yu-Gi-Oh! is joining Jump Force’s fighting roster - 19 September, 2018
- Raphael Sorel returns in Soulcalibur VI to slice and dice the competition - 19 September, 2018
- Logitech G partners with Aperture Gaming to invest in all-female esports - 19 September, 2018
- Free Lives announces Playtopia, a South Africa indie gaming festival - 19 September, 2018
- Green Hell Preview: the jungle is the least of your worries… - 18 September, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Review: Spectacular in almost every way! - 17 September, 2018
- Comic Con Africa Tickets sold out - 14 September, 2018
- Zeus’ Battlegrounds is a Battle Royale set in Ancient Greece - 6 September, 2018
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider takes players to the Hidden City of Paiti - 6 September, 2018
- Deviljho finally comes to Monster Hunter: World’s PC version - 6 September, 2018