The Witcher franchise is well known for its gratuitous, and very liberal, sex scenes. As you can imagine, however, creating these scenes is more than merely manipulating a few three dimensional animations. A lot of work goes into creating video games, like the voice acting. As it so happens, acting out ‘sex’ scenes, using only your voice, may not go as smoothly as you may think. With this in mind, the voice actor behind Geralt of Rivia offers cringe worthy insight into what recording those Witcher 3 sex scenes was like.
Doug Cockle, the voice behind The Witcher’s Geralt of Rivia, recently described his experience working on the series. Eurogamer released an article on the famous voice artist in which his life as a voice actor is explained. Cockle did not always want to be a voice actor. In fact, it seems that he merely stumbled upon CD Projekt RED’s first game in the Witcher franchise by accident. It was due to the Polish company switching recording studios, that he was noticed. The job fell on him fast, but he adapted perfectly to the role.
Upon landing the job, Cockle had no difficulties in voicing Geralt. It was so easy to do, he describes the experience as similar to “slipping into a comfortable bath”. Where it ended up getting a bit awkward, however, was when he had to voice many of the intimate Witcher 3 and 2 sex scenes littered throughout the games. According to Cockle, he never really met with the voices behind prominent love interests like Triss Merigold or Yennefer of Vengerberg. In light of that, he had to voice intimate scenes of the game by himself, alone in a recording booth. Cockle claims that the entire process was awkward. In fact, he even compared it to the feeling of being caught masturbating. I do not know about you, but that is definitely one of the worst feelings in the world.
Cockle claimed that he would have to do multiple takes for violent scenes in which Geralt took damage. He also had to do multiple takes where he had to grunt and make noises for various reasons… including having sex in the game. Cockle had to be very imaginative with the sounds he made. He had no idea what Geralt’s Witcher 3 sex partner would look like, what they were doing, or even how they sounded.
Fortunately it all seemed to work out in the end. According to PC Games Network, The Witcher 3 sex scenes are some of the best in gaming. I suppose that was a culmination of more than three years of experience as the White Wolf.
Witcher 3:Wild Hunt, The – Game of the Year Edition released 30 August 2016. It includes all of the downloadable content featured in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. The third game in the series released to critical acclaim and won multiple Game of the Year awards.
- Hearthstone Ushers in the Year of the Mammoth with Journey to Un’Goro - 22 March, 2017
- Roguelike indie game, Loot Rascals, has launched! - 22 March, 2017
- The First Android Wear 2.0 Device is here with the Huawei Watch 2 - 22 March, 2017
- The Huawei P10 is a Fantastic Update to the Already Impressive P9 - 22 March, 2017
- Ghost Recon: Wildlands [First Impressions] - 16 March, 2017
- Blizzard Now Accepts WoW Tokens for Subscription and Loot Payments - 10 March, 2017
- New Trailer for Holobunnies: Pause Cafe Reveals Game’s March Release Date - 10 March, 2017
- The Division Last Stand expansion and Free 1.6 Update Now Available - 10 March, 2017
- Destiny’s final update is an Age of Triumph, both in name, and for all players - 10 March, 2017
- Unable to play Horizon Zero Dawn? Here are a few cross-platform alternatives. - 8 March, 2017