The X-Men moment fans have been waiting for is here! The very first official trailer for the upcoming Wolverine based movie, Logan (2017), has arrived.
On October 20, 2016, the world filled with the collective screams from fans of the X-Men and Wolverine movie franchises, not to mention the comic book aficionados like me! Logan (2017) is the next instalment in the Wolverine movie franchise, and it will grace the big screen in 2017.
The movie promises to be more raw, gritty, and unashamedly brutal, than previous X-Men movies. This is definitely highlighted with the use of the Johnny Cash song ‘Hurt’, which overlays the trailer. To whet our appetites even further, and drive us insane with anticipation, Fox has also released the following movie plot summary alongside the trailer for Logan (2017):
Set in the future, Logan and Professor Charles Xavier must cope with the loss of the X-Men when a corporation lead by Nathaniel Essex is destroying the world leaving it to destruction, with Logan’s healing abilities slowly fading away and Xavier’s Alzheimer’s forcing him to forget. Logan must defeat Nathaniel Essex with the help of a young girl named Laura Kinney, a female clone of Wolverine.
The trailer gives us a glimpse of the dystopian future outlined in the plot summary, which will most likely follow the story from the Old Man Logan comic series. The link between Logan (2017) and X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) has also been confirmed thanks to the synopsis revealing the presence of Nathaniel Essex and the Essex Corporation – a man and company that is present in both films, respectively.
It has been rumoured that Laura Kinney, aka X-23, will take over the mantle of Wolverine, now that Hugh Jackman has announced he will be retiring his claws. It does beg the question though: how will X-23 fit into the rebooted movie timeline as presented in X-Men: First Class, Days of Future Past, and Apocalypse? I will be a little disappointed if X-23 doesn’t join the main X-Men timeline, but it is still too early to tell.
Another juicy tidbit from the trailer came as more of a teaser. You would not be blamed for missing it, heck I even missed it the first time round. In a scene with Logan on his back using his claws to stop three other claws from impaling him, you can see that the opposing claws (not Logan’s, keep up with me here) are in a an almost triangular arrangement. Could this possibly be Daken, aka Dark Wolverine, aka Wolverine’s son?!
I really do hope so because Daken is a complex and fascinating character. Having a sexually and morally ambiguous character like him would really shake things up a little. We all know how popular the not-so-politically-corect-bisexual-Deadpool became, so there is definitely room for some extra diversity. I also hope that Laura Kinney will find her way to the main X-Men franchise to keep us all happy. Now how much longer do I have to wait?! [Ed’s note: the movie release in the USA on 3 March 2017).
- Official Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald teaser trailer - 14 March, 2018
- The New Mutants trailer offers cinematic glimpse of The Demon Bear Saga - 14 February, 2018
- Stranger Things X Ariana Grande is a super sexy synth pop mashup - 14 February, 2018
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them [Review] - 24 November, 2016
- Wolverine is back for one last ‘Hurrah’ in New Trailer for Logan (2017) - 26 October, 2016
- Initial Thoughts on Pokémon Go [First Play] - 11 July, 2016
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016) Teaser Trailer - 14 June, 2016
- New Gameplay & PS VR Support Revealed for Final Fantasy XV at E3 - 14 June, 2016
- X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) [Review] - 7 June, 2016
- Revelations from X-Men: Apocalypse - 31 May, 2016