The recent Win With Vamers Deadpool Movie Edition competition tasked readers to submit their favourite and most creative chimichanga recipe. The results received were numerous and of a very high quality. In the end, the FRANCIS MUST DIE Chimichanga by Alicia Rall was declared as the winning recipe.
Inspired by one of the most iconic and hilarious scenes in Deadpool (2016), the FRANCIS MUST DIE Chimichanga was put to the test by the Vamers Crew – yes, we actually went ahead and made it and it was delicious!
The most unique aspect to this recipe is that the first letter of the primary ingredients actually spell out FRANCIS MUST DIE when listed and read vertically (we took the liberty of modifying a few ingredients in order to make it deliciously edible):
- Flour Tortillas (x 4 tortillas)
- Refried Beans (x 1 can of kidney/black beans)
- Avocado (x 1)
- Nachos (x 1 pack/cut and fry tortilla into nachos)
- Cumin (x 1 teaspoon)
- Italian Herbs (rosemary, basil and garlic)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Meat (we used 1kg of Ostrich mince)
- Unsalted Butter
- Sour Cream (1 x 250ml tub)
- Tomato and Onion Mix (1 x can)
- Diced Jalapeños
- Italian Spices
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
The above ingredients should be enough to serve approximately four people. Double and divide as necessary for the number of people to be catered for.
Once the suitable ingredients have been purchased, simply follow the following recipe in order to enjoy the delicious FRANCIS MUST DIE Chimichanga.
- Slice and dice the onions, garlic, jalapeños (add as many or as little as you like), fresh basil and fresh rosemary. Set aside.
- Place clean pan on stove. Set to medium heat.
- Pour two tablespoons of olive oil into the pan.
- Slowly add contents of canned beans into pan.
- Set stove to high heat.
- Once beans reach a boil, add sliced and diced herbs.
- Allow to sauté for a five (5) minutes
- Set stove to medium heat.
- Add contents of canned tomato and onion mix to pan.
- Add two (2) teaspoons of cumin
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper
- Add 250ml of sour cream to mixture
- Allow to simmer for ten (10) minutes on medium heat.
- Remove bean and herb mixture from stove top.
- Place clean and large pan on stove. Set stove to medium heat.
- Pour two table spoons of olive oil into the pan (if using beef mince, exclude the oil).
- Add one (1) tablespoon of butter into pan.
- Add one (1) tablespoon of garlic into pan.
- Allow oil, butter and garlic to sauté until butter has melted completely.
- Add ostrich mince.
- Break mince apart using cooking utensils (the less lumpy, the better).
- Add Italian spices (add as desired)
- Cook mince meat until medium rare.
- Slowly add herb and bean mixture to the cooked mince meat.
- Allow to simmer for five (5) to ten (10) minutes, cook to your liking.
The Chimichanga (Part 1)
- Lay tortilla on clean cooking surface.
- Scoop two (2) tablespoons of filling into the centre of the tortilla.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese.
- Roll tortilla together.
- Fold in edges of tortilla. Bind edges with toothpicks.
- Set chimichanga aside.
Guacamole and Nachos
- Peel Avocado. Remove pip.
- Mash avocado in bowl.
- Add lemon juice.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cut tortilla wrap into nacho triangles.
- Place clean pan on stove. Set to high heat.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add nachos. Fry until golden brown.
The Chimichanga (Part 2)
- Place clean pan on stove. Set to high heat.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil. Set to high heat.
- Once oil is bubbling, add chimichanga.
- Fry for 30 – 60 seconds on each side (top and bottom).
- Once chimichanga has a golden colour, remove from pan.
- Garnish with sour cream, guacamole, jalapeños and nachos.
Serve and enjoy!
- Comic Con Africa Interview with SA’s Official Lara Croft: Noelle Adams - 20 September, 2018
- The Sony PlayStation Classic channels the heyday of 3D gaming - 19 September, 2018
- Exclusive Hitman 2 interview with IO Interactive’s Theuns Smit - 17 September, 2018
- Unboxing Marvel’s Spider-Man Collector’s Edition & Press Kit - 10 September, 2018
- Win With Vamers a copy of Marvel’s Spider-Man [PS4] & other goodies - 9 September, 2018
- Samsung Portable SSD T5 Review – Small, slick, sturdy & incredibly fast! - 6 September, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Photo Mode lets you create your own comic covers - 4 September, 2018
- Mayan inspired Custom Shadow of the Tomb Raider Xbox One X is Gorgeous - 4 September, 2018
- Xbox Games with Gold September 2018: Prison Architect, Livelock and more - 3 September, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Villains and Friends appear in Relationships Trailer - 30 August, 2018