The holy grail of gaming is owning a Personal Computer (PC) that can sustain gameplay at 60 Frames Per Second (FPS). Courtesy of a simple new hack, Nvidia users may get ever closer to that goal by squeezing a few more frames out of their graphics cards, and strain their CPUs a little less, in just a few quick steps.
A Redditor by the name of lhikary recently discovered that the GeForce Experience software of his Nvidia graphics card kept searching for and attempting to stream to a Nvidia Shield device in the background, despite him not owning Nvidia’s console or a Nvidia Shield enabled mobile device. As such, the software was unnecessarily taxing his CPU whilst gaming, in order to provide a service that is not needed, and thus affecting the performance of his PC during gaming (for example: dropped frames).
Thankfully, lhikary found a way to disable the service for gamers who do not need it and subsequently improve game performance in the process.
To disable the Nvidia Shield streaming service, simply head on over to the services applet on Windows PC and disable the Nvidia Streamer Service in the services list. According to lhikary, doing so managed to squeeze an extra couple of frames (on average) out of his games and it put less of a strain on his CPU.
Benchmarks included on the Reddit post indicates noticeable improvements on hard-hitting games like Metro: Last Light, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, and Bioshock Infinite.
Considering that the Nivida Shield is not available in South Africa, this tweak may be especially relevant for South African gamers who want to get the most out of their computer hardware.
- Walk fast and in style with these Sonic the Hedgehog Sneakers - 13 September, 2017
- Apple unveils new iPhone 8 and 8 Plus with glass back and wireless charging - 12 September, 2017
- In-game playable stats revealed for PES 2018 ambassador, Usain Bolt - 11 September, 2017
- The Destiny 2 Soundtrack gets its very own trailer – yes, it is that good! - 6 September, 2017
- Destiny 2 live-action trailer wants you to become a Guardian for the Puppies! - 5 September, 2017
- First Play: Call of Duty: World War II Multiplayer Beta Impressions [Hands-On] - 4 September, 2017
- Usain Bolt revealed as Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 Ambasador - 28 August, 2017
- OMEN X by HP might give the Asus Predator 21X a run for its money - 23 August, 2017
- Prey and Injustice 2 discounted until 3 September! [South Africa] - 23 August, 2017
- Age of Empires IV announced, first new game in the franchise in over a decade! - 22 August, 2017