In a lawsuit lost against British Sky Broadcasting Group (BSkyB), Microsoft was recently forced to rename their unified cloud storage service known as SkyDrive.
The result is a global rebranding of the service to OneDrive, which Microsoft hopes will be the “One place for all of your photos and videos. One place for all of your documents. One place that is seamlessly connected across all the devices you use” and a service that “You want [OneDrive] for everything in your life”.
Before the rebranding, Microsoft’s SkyDrive offered users 7GB of free storage. With OneDrive, Microsoft aims to give current users the opportunity to more than double that initial offering.
According to a report by LiveSide, Microsoft’s OneDrive will take a page out of the DropBox playbook by offering an additional 500MB of cloud storage for every person a user refers to the service, up to a maximum of 10 people (5GB).
Microsoft’s cloud service will also add an additional 3GB of storage to users who choose to use the ‘camera roll’ feature of the OneDrive mobile application to backup and sync photographs from iOS, Android, and Windows Phones. In essence, Microsoft is essentially ‘giving away’ an extra 8GB of additional storage to anyone with a bunch of friends and a smart mobile device.
The rebrand also brings Microsoft’s cloud based storage service inline with some of Microsoft’s newer products, like company’s Xbox One “all in one” game console.
- Opera for Android VPN lets users browse privately and securely for free - 20 March, 2019
- Logitech G935 Review – Sexy sound in an overly bulky design - 19 March, 2019
- Turtle Beach Recon 70 is a new, improved and affordable headset - 19 March, 2019
- New budget Razer peripherals aim to change the game - 19 March, 2019
- Epic Games Store Roadmap reveals cloud saves, achievements, and more - 19 March, 2019
- Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 Review in Progress - 15 March, 2019
- It is good to be bad with Hearthstone Rise of Shadows - 14 March, 2019
- Boomerang Africa HD brings crystal-clear shows to kids all over Africa - 13 March, 2019
- Sony’s excellent water and dust proof SRS-XB speakers now available - 13 March, 2019
- Battle for Azeroth update: New Allied Races, earn tools of the trade & more - 12 March, 2019