With over 100 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute, it comes as no surprise that social media giants Facebook and Twitter want to enter and share a part of this popular, lucrative and growing medium.
The answer for the social media giants has been short mobile video – the natural evolution of still pictures and audio. As a result, Twitter created Vine and Facebook enhanced Instagram with video.
The rise of social sharing through video has been nothing short of astounding. Twitter’s popular video sharing service, Vine, has accrued over 40 million active users in the last seven months and Facebook’s Instagram saw over 5 million videos uploaded in the first 24 hours of the video function being enabled.
The result of access to and distribution of short mobile video has seen an explosion in creative video-based user generated content. In fact, analysts have predicted that over two thirds of mobile data traffic will be video by 2017 – a 16 fold increase from 2012.
The rivalry between Twitter and Facebook, and thus Vine and Instagram respectively, is fuelled with the ambition to dominate our free time by transforming us into video publishers and editors. Each service is advantageous in its own way, but the competition is good for end users as it will only further drive innovation and improvement for both applications and services.
Below is an infographic further detailing the differences between each short mobile video platform and the projected statistics of mobile video for the near future.
- Hot Toys Doctor Strange (MMS484) is mystifyingly handsy - 18 May, 2018
- Hot Toys Deadpool (MMS490) collectible is a sexy unicorn lover - 15 May, 2018
- Here are the winners in our Sea Of Thieves Be More Pirate Competition - 7 May, 2018
- Xbox Games with Gold May 2018: Solid Snake, Baseball and Cult Classics - 1 May, 2018
- Jason Momoa confirmed for Comic Con Africa 2018 - 24 April, 2018
- These Vamers Gifs will give your gif game much needed life - 19 April, 2018
- Win With Vamers: God of War Limited Edition [PS4 Only] - 19 April, 2018
- My Spirit Animal: Kratos – What life is like living with the God of War - 19 April, 2018
- Five actors who could be Kratos in a God of War Movie - 12 April, 2018
- Sea of Thieves is like tasty grog: good, even with a hangover [REVIEW] - 11 April, 2018