With over 100 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute, it comes as no surprise that social media giants Facebook and Twitter want to enter and share a part of this popular, lucrative and growing medium.
The answer for the social media giants has been short mobile video – the natural evolution of still pictures and audio. As a result, Twitter created Vine and Facebook enhanced Instagram with video.
The rise of social sharing through video has been nothing short of astounding. Twitter’s popular video sharing service, Vine, has accrued over 40 million active users in the last seven months and Facebook’s Instagram saw over 5 million videos uploaded in the first 24 hours of the video function being enabled.
The result of access to and distribution of short mobile video has seen an explosion in creative video-based user generated content. In fact, analysts have predicted that over two thirds of mobile data traffic will be video by 2017 – a 16 fold increase from 2012.
The rivalry between Twitter and Facebook, and thus Vine and Instagram respectively, is fuelled with the ambition to dominate our free time by transforming us into video publishers and editors. Each service is advantageous in its own way, but the competition is good for end users as it will only further drive innovation and improvement for both applications and services.
Below is an infographic further detailing the differences between each short mobile video platform and the projected statistics of mobile video for the near future.
- Apple introduces the iPhone X with Edge to Edge OLED Display, Face ID and more - 12 September, 2017
- Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is now available - 1 September, 2017
- Build Your Own Jurassic Park with Jurassic World Evolution - 29 August, 2017
- Unboxing the Marvel Legends 75th Anniversary Captain America Shield [Video + Giveaway] - 29 August, 2017
- KFC Nail Polish is Finger-Lickin’ Good and Tastes like Chicken - 22 August, 2017
- 4K Enhancements Detailed for Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X - 22 August, 2017
- Play Jengo at Gamescom 2017 and help Jeff save the Pixelverse - 21 August, 2017
- Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition Revealed and Pre-Orders Now Live - 20 August, 2017
- The Valkyrie Challenge is an All-Woman CS:GO esports event - 25 July, 2017
- HP Sprocket Puts Photo Printing in your Pocket [Review] - 20 July, 2017