With over 100 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute, it comes as no surprise that social media giants Facebook and Twitter want to enter and share a part of this popular, lucrative and growing medium.
The answer for the social media giants has been short mobile video – the natural evolution of still pictures and audio. As a result, Twitter created Vine and Facebook enhanced Instagram with video.
The rise of social sharing through video has been nothing short of astounding. Twitter’s popular video sharing service, Vine, has accrued over 40 million active users in the last seven months and Facebook’s Instagram saw over 5 million videos uploaded in the first 24 hours of the video function being enabled.
The result of access to and distribution of short mobile video has seen an explosion in creative video-based user generated content. In fact, analysts have predicted that over two thirds of mobile data traffic will be video by 2017 – a 16 fold increase from 2012.
The rivalry between Twitter and Facebook, and thus Vine and Instagram respectively, is fuelled with the ambition to dominate our free time by transforming us into video publishers and editors. Each service is advantageous in its own way, but the competition is good for end users as it will only further drive innovation and improvement for both applications and services.
Below is an infographic further detailing the differences between each short mobile video platform and the projected statistics of mobile video for the near future.
- South African PlayStation Black Friday 2017 Deals Revealed - 14 November, 2017
- Xbox One X UK Launch Exceeds Expectations, 80 000 consoles sold - 14 November, 2017
- Workout like a Sith with Star Wars Gym Equipment - 8 November, 2017
- Pac-Man’s Most Obvious Secret Cannot be Unseen - 8 November, 2017
- Cuphead is a Frustratingly Good Run and Gun Game [Review] - 18 October, 2017
- GLITCHED is South Africa’s newest show about Video Games - 16 October, 2017
- Nintendo Pop-Up Store + Hands-On with Super Mario Odyssey - 15 October, 2017
- Win With Vamers ALIEN DVD & ALIEN: Isolation Game Bundle - 15 October, 2017
- Star Wars Theme Sung entirely by Porgs - 12 October, 2017
- The full-length Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer is here, & it’s mind-blowing! - 10 October, 2017