That is the message for a new ‘viral’ advertising campaign that is being broadcast by Metro Trains in Melbourne, Australia.
Dumb Ways To Die features a catchy tune, easily remembered lyrics and, most interestingly, a series of cutesy monsters dying in ‘dumb’ ways.
The advertisement is quite effective. Not only did it gain the attention of traditional news media, but it has also, in less than two weeks, become one of the most popular videos on YouTube and already has its own parody. The Dumb Ways To Die song can even be purchased through iTunes or downloaded for free through SoundCloud.
I personally believe that SANRAL (South African National Roads Agency) should use the Melbourne Metro rail advertisement as inspiration and embark on a unique and eye-opening campaign in order to help curb the number of unnecessary pedestrian deaths on South African roads. However, the focus should not be on the driver, but on the pedestrians themselves. People need to know that being hit by a car while crossing a motorway, for example, is a very dumb way to die. Rather take the stairs or a bridge. It may take longer, but you will avoid a dumb death.
- Nintendo confirms Animated Super Mario Bros. Movie is in the works - 15 February, 2018
- Black Panther Post-Credits scenes? Yes, there are two of them. - 15 February, 2018
- First Incredibles 2 trailer showcases how parents are the real superheroes - 15 February, 2018
- Win with Vamers: Watch us Live and win a copy of PUBG for Xbox One - 13 February, 2018
- Get Far Cry 4 for Free with 1 year of PlayStation Plus (only new sign-ups) - 1 February, 2018
- TV Series Floor Plans give insight into the lives of your favourite characters - 1 February, 2018
- South African Esports Store launches with DXRacer - 30 January, 2018
- Sea of Thieves Closed Beta: finding treasure, getting drunk & being jolly - 29 January, 2018
- Stay dry to stay alive in The Rain; a new post-apocalyptic series from Netflix - 29 January, 2018
- Charmed Reboot in the works at CW; mixed emotions ensue - 29 January, 2018